Facundo Pellistri has had to wait a long time for a senior start with Manchester United.
And while Sunday’s game was just a friendly fixture, Pellistri approached the match with the intensity of a Premier League game.
Pellistri’s approach paid off as he scored United’s winning goal in a 2-1 victory away at Derby.
The 19-year-old Uruguayan was delighted to be able to contribute to the first team. He sent a message out on social media after the win.
Pellistri’s message performance and message drew a response from Bruno Fernandes, who is still on his holidays after Euro 2020. Fernandes responded with an applause to encourage the young winger.
A performance full of promise
Pellistri had scored three goals previously for the under-23s. Add in this friendly fixture and he has four in eight appearances in a United shirt at all levels, plus one assist.
Every time he got the ball in the final third he was direct and tried to make things happen and Derby’s defenders ended up having to double up on him at times.
Former United striker Andy Cole praised his contribution, telling MUTV: “He was very very lively.
“Everyone was trying to impress the manager and rightly so. The pass and timing of the run, way he finished it off, he looked really confident.”
The most likely outcome for Pellistri this summer is that he ends up going out on loan so he can play regularly, before returning an even stronger player in 2022.
It is only thanks to United’s multitude of options that this is likely. For the first time in a long time the club have several wide options and Pellistri will have to wait a little longer for his chance.
- Manchester United set to resume training
- Charlie McCann sends message after leaving Manchester United
- United announce Rashford is set for surgery on shoulder injury
- Raphael Varane says goodbye to Real Madrid after agreeing to join United
- Photos: Sancho features as Manchester United officially release new 2021/22 away kit
- Report provides update on United’s Covid situation after Preston friendly is cancelled
- Alejandro Garnacho grabs brace in Manchester United under-18s win over Tottenham
- Laurent Blanc said it was ‘an honour’ to be compared to Raphael Varane
- Logan Pye signs Manchester United pro contract
- Harry Maguire pictured enjoying holiday abroad