One of the big questions lying ahead for Manchester United this weekend is over who will start at centre-back.
The weekend’s friendly saw Harry Maguire partnered by Timothy Fosu-Mensah, with neither Victor Lindelof or Eric Bailly available, while Axel Tuanzebe was out injured.
Bailly featured in training yesterday and had a very short message for fans, declaring his return.
Lindelof was also present in the training session, and of the two, he is probably the defender most likely to partner Harry Maguire, based on Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s previous team selections.
However this is a new start to the season, and the chance for the manager to try a different approach.
With no new defensive signings made, United can look internally for ways to improve, and giving Eric Bailly a run of games to start the season is one way to do so.
Victor Lindelof looked rusty at the back end of the season and Bailly has been patiently waiting for an opportunity.
Bailly needs to make this time count
Axel Tuanzebe is still a few weeks away from his return to action from a foot injury.
It is important Eric Bailly takes advantage of his absence from the squad and capitalises to try and get ahead of Victor Lindelof.
If he cannot, then Bailly risks being overtaken and pushed down to fourth choice by Tuanzebe when he is fit again.
- United fans hoping Diallo can do a Martial this weekend
- Scholes says United should sign Fofana – but deal would be very unlikely
- Anthony Martial needs to rediscover debut season form in key Manchester United clashes
- Marcus Rashford is outperforming Sadio Mane this season
- Predicted Manchester United XI v Liverpool
- Jurgen Klopp hails Manchester United pair Marcus Rashford and Bruno Fernandes
- Solskjaer claims there’s even more to come from Manchester United
- Solskjaer says Diallo could be in United squad this weekend
- Bruno Fernandes wins record-breaking fourth player of the month award