Eric Bailly says he is ‘ok’ after the injury he sustained in the FA Cup semi-final.

Bailly was substituted in the first half after a clash of heads with teammate Harry Maguire. He had earlier collided with Chelsea’s Kurt Zouma.

The Ivory Coast international was taken to hospital as a precaution and left this morning to head back to Manchester.

Bailly said that the 3-1 defeat to Chelsea hurt him more than the injury. The game was 0-0 prior to him being taken off.

It appears as though Bailly will not miss much, if any time, unlike some of his previous injuries.

He is only likely to be used as a back-up this week against West Ham, and will have to pass a fitness test to make the bench.

His injury was a shame as opportunities have not come too frequently for the centre-back.

(Photo by ALASTAIR GRANT/POOL/AFP via Getty Images)

It has been a stop-start season for him after a knee injury last July saw his season delayed until February.

Certainly it is positive news to see him feeling positive and discussing this week’s matches.

 

United have two big games in the Premier League against West Ham and then Leicester City in which the side have a chance to seal Champions League qualification.

Manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will provide a further update on Bailly’s condition in his pre-match press conference on Tuesday morning.

United are thin on depth at centre-back already with Axel Tuanzebe out, along with Phil Jones.

Timothy Fosu-Mensah can provide cover there, while teenager Teden Mengi, 18, has been training with the first team since June, although is yet to make a senior matchday squad.

Bailly is coming to the end of his fourth season at Manchester United, having been the club’s first signing under Jose Mourinho back in 2016.

Have something to tell us about this article?