Edinson Cavani is invoking the spirit of Michael Jordan as he looks ahead to the next 18 months.
Cavani is with Uruguay for the Copa America and held a press conference as part of the build-up to his country’s first game this coming weekend.
The Manchester United fan favourite acknowledges he is in the final straits of his career, referring to it in terms of Jordan’s famous documentary, ‘The Last Dance’.
Quoted by TyC Sports, Cavani has his heart set on a big year and a half ahead for club and country.
Cavani said: “In terms of football, my goal at the national team level is to be able to achieve that other dream of reaching the World Cup in Qatar and then step aside and dedicate myself more to my family, my people, my things. I think we are in the last dance.”
The World Cup is due to be held in December 2022, by which time Cavani’s contract at Manchester United will have expired.
After six games of World Cup qualifying, Uruguay sit in fourth place, which would be enough. It is still very tight though, as just three points less would see them drop to eighth place.
First up is the Copa America
Cavani’s Uruguay kick off their Copa America campaign on Saturday at 1am against Argentina.
The striker is a little worried about the ongoing Covid pandemic in South America.
He said: “Concern will have to be given in the care, protocols, do everything possible and, even so, it can be difficult to avoid any contagion. It is a risk that we assume.”
The final of the Copa America is due to be held on July 11. This could set Cavani’s pre-season plans back if Uruguay get there.
But even so when he does return to United, he will be in better shape than when he joined last season, having had six months off.
Cavani ended the season with 17 goals and the knowledge this could be his last in European football will make him even more determined to make it a big success.
- Charlie McCann sends message after leaving Manchester United
- United announce Rashford is set for surgery on shoulder injury
- Raphael Varane says goodbye to Real Madrid after agreeing to join United
- Photos: Sancho features as Manchester United officially release new 2021/22 away kit
- Report provides update on United’s Covid situation after Preston friendly is cancelled
- Alejandro Garnacho grabs brace in Manchester United under-18s win over Tottenham
- Laurent Blanc said it was ‘an honour’ to be compared to Raphael Varane
- Logan Pye signs Manchester United pro contract
- Harry Maguire pictured enjoying holiday abroad
- Sergio Ramos and Marcelo congratulate Raphael Varane on Manchester United move