Edin Dzeko and Roma teammates react to Manchester United semi-final draw
Manchester United will face Roma in the Europa League semi-finals.
While United cruised to a 4-0 victory against Granada over two legs, Roma had to battle to a 3-2 aggregate win over Ajax.
Former City striker Edin Dzeko scored the crucial goal to send Roma through.
The 35-year-old has now scored 11 goals for the season and will be a tricky opponent for United to handle over the two legs.
He was asked about the tie against United and said he was looking forward to it.
Dzeko told TMW: “If we have reached the semifinals, I say yes [we can compete]. We didn’t have an easy path between Braga, Shakhtar Donetsk and Ajax, now another strong team awaits us.
“We are Roma, since we have arrived here we have to give everything to get to the final.”
Roma respect and are wary of United
Dzeko’s comments were echoed by his Roma teammates, who are wary of United, but feel as though they can compete.
Club captain Lorenzo Pelligrini told TMW: “All the games we have faced have not been easy. Now it will be Manchester’s turn, our goal is to win to get to the final. It will be on the pitch that it will tell.”
Winger Riccardo Calafiori told TMW: “If we have reached the semifinals it means that we can now play it with all the teams. It will be very difficult but we will never give up.”
Gianluca Mancini will be suspended after receiving a yellow card which earned him a suspension.
The centre-back’s absence will increase the pressure on Chris Smalling to get fit to return. The former United defender missed both legs of the quarter-final through injury.
Another former United star did feature in both ties, Henrikh Mkhitaryan has been like a player reborn in Rome and has 11 goals and nine assists this season.
- Manchester United deal labelled 'incredible' by journalist for all the wrong reasons
- No price tag: Manchester United told to back off signing striker by club director
- 'Who knows': 29-year-old Manchester United ace hints at making permanent exit next summer
- Manchester United want to sign £16.8m Argentine midfielder from La Liga side
- Manchester United pushing for transfer 9 years after Red Devils scouting team first spotted him
- Report: Manchester United reach agreement in principle to sign former Manchester City youngster
- Manchester United set to lose race to sign £55m wonderkid according to Romano
- 3 things we learned about Erik ten Hag from Manchester United’s opening game
- 'Leading option'… Manchester United make move for Juventus midfielder as De Jong alternative
- £31m Manchester United star has big part to play despite Ten Hag opening day snub