Dylan Levitt’s leftfield choice to join Croatian side NK Istra in the middle of February was out of a mixture of desperation and genius.
The young midfielder was coming off a disappointing loan at Charlton, and with hopes of making Wales’ European Championship squad, he needed to play competitive football.
Rather than play for the under-23s, Levitt took advantage of Croatia’s extended transfer deadline and signed for top flight strugglers NK Istra.
It was a case of ‘take what you can get and be grateful for the opportunity’.
Well, Levitt is now one game away from winning a medal.
Levitt started in midweek as NK Istra upset fourth placed Rijeka to win 3-2 in the Croatian Cup semi-final.
The young Manchester United midfielder played 67 minutes, leaving the field with his side 3-1 up.
NK Istra held on to reach the final, prompting wild celebrations from supporters who gathered outside the stadium with flares.
Forget the Euros or anything else, this would be a big achievement and experience in it’s own right if Levitt is able to help his loan side to win a domestic trophy.
The final will take place on May 19, with NK Istra’s opponents yet to be determined.
At the very least, this semi-final win will go down as a great experience for Levitt.
- Daley Blind scores, assists and gets MOTM in the Champions League
- Predicted Manchester United XI v Atalanta
- Manchester United need Marcus Rashford to electrify Old Trafford again
- Atalanta boss Gasperini on what scares him most about Manchester United
- A look at Ronaldo, Pogba and Cavani’s record against Atalanta
- Three takeaways from Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s pre-Atalanta press conference
- What channel is the Man Utd v Atalanta Champions League match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Solskjaer pleased with Amad’s development despite injury
- Neville expects United to finish above Liverpool
- Jorge Mendes says Cristiano Ronaldo should win Ballon d’Or
- How much would it cost Manchester United to sack Ole Gunnar Solskjaer?
- Manchester United have to be wary of Atalanta star Ruslan Malinovskyi