Dylan Levitt’s leftfield choice to join Croatian side NK Istra in the middle of February was out of a mixture of desperation and genius.
The young midfielder was coming off a disappointing loan at Charlton, and with hopes of making Wales’ European Championship squad, he needed to play competitive football.
Rather than play for the under-23s, Levitt took advantage of Croatia’s extended transfer deadline and signed for top flight strugglers NK Istra.
It was a case of ‘take what you can get and be grateful for the opportunity’.
Well, Levitt is now one game away from winning a medal.
Levitt started in midweek as NK Istra upset fourth placed Rijeka to win 3-2 in the Croatian Cup semi-final.
The young Manchester United midfielder played 67 minutes, leaving the field with his side 3-1 up.
NK Istra held on to reach the final, prompting wild celebrations from supporters who gathered outside the stadium with flares.
Forget the Euros or anything else, this would be a big achievement and experience in it’s own right if Levitt is able to help his loan side to win a domestic trophy.
The final will take place on May 19, with NK Istra’s opponents yet to be determined.
At the very least, this semi-final win will go down as a great experience for Levitt.
- Five Manchester United players who Jose Mourinho could sign for Roma
- Ethan Galbraith shares video of his 20 yard rocket for United’s under-23s
- Champions League has to be big temptation for Edinson Cavani to agree renewal
- Avram Glazer refuses to answer nine questions from journalist when confronted about Manchester United
- Sam Johnstone open to Manchester United return
- Bruno Fernandes has made Manchester United the envy of clubs around Europe
- Manchester United fans launch sponsor boycott to pile on Glazer pressure
- United fans react as Mourinho set to be reunited with Mkhitaryan at Roma
- Europa opponents Roma will replace Fonseca with Jose Mourinho at end of the season
- Positive reports emerge about Anthony Martial’s recovery from injury
- Rio Ferdinand says the Glazers are even more detached from reality than he first thought
- Manchester United fans react to Anthony Elanga’s impressive under-23 performance