Dylan Levitt’s leftfield choice to join Croatian side NK Istra in the middle of February was out of a mixture of desperation and genius.
The young midfielder was coming off a disappointing loan at Charlton, and with hopes of making Wales’ European Championship squad, he needed to play competitive football.
Rather than play for the under-23s, Levitt took advantage of Croatia’s extended transfer deadline and signed for top flight strugglers NK Istra.
It was a case of ‘take what you can get and be grateful for the opportunity’.
Well, Levitt is now one game away from winning a medal.
Levitt started in midweek as NK Istra upset fourth placed Rijeka to win 3-2 in the Croatian Cup semi-final.
The young Manchester United midfielder played 67 minutes, leaving the field with his side 3-1 up.
NK Istra held on to reach the final, prompting wild celebrations from supporters who gathered outside the stadium with flares.
Forget the Euros or anything else, this would be a big achievement and experience in it’s own right if Levitt is able to help his loan side to win a domestic trophy.
The final will take place on May 19, with NK Istra’s opponents yet to be determined.
At the very least, this semi-final win will go down as a great experience for Levitt.
- Manchester United in August: Predicting the transfer deals to come
- United loanee Bernard makes first Hull appearance in 2-0 win over Red Devils U23 side
- Report: Fenerbahce want to sign United midfielder Pereira
- Hull boss McCann delighted to sign Manchester United’s Di’Shon Bernard on loan
- Henderson is excited by United signing Sancho
- United defender Eric Bailly endures mixed day as Ivory Coast exit Olympics
- Marcus Rashford posts long emotional message after decision to undergo surgery
- Di’Shon Bernard signs new long-term contract with Manchester United
- Manchester United set to resume training
- Charlie McCann sends message after leaving Manchester United
- United announce Rashford is set for surgery on shoulder injury
- Raphael Varane says goodbye to Real Madrid after agreeing to join United