Manchester United youngster D’Mani Mellor is working hard on his comeback.
Mellor suffered an ACL injury last summer and missed the entire season.
The injury was an especially cruel blow considering he had already missed months of football due to the lockdown.
Mellor was primed to be United’s lead striker at under-23 level and had to sit out the entire season.
He posted a picture on his Instagram this morning which was encouraging, showing he was back wearing football boots again as he steps up his comeback.
Mellor is on course to hopefully be fit again for the start of 2021/22 pre-season.
ACL injuries typically take a year to recover from and Mellor appears to be on track.
What’s next for Mellor?
Mellor’s contract situation is a little unclear. Transfermarkt state his deal is set to expire this summer, but he was not named on United’s released or retained list.
United have always tried to do right by the club’s young players and it is very possible Mellor will be given an extension for next season to try and prove himself.
If he is retained then he would go into United’s under-23 team. Mellor is only 20 and has a good record at this level, even making his Red Devils’ first team debut against Astana in November 2019.
There is extra competition now up front with Joe Hugill impressing for the under-23s last season and Charlie McNeill also expected to step up.
One way or another it is good to see Mellor on his way back to fitness once again.
D’Mani Mellor: What you need to know
- Mellor plays as a striker and was born in Manchester
He signed his professional contract in September 2018
- Hat-trick hero
Mellor’s best performance in the academy came as he bagged a hat-trick in the final game of the under-18 season against Everton in 2019.
- Strong under-23 record
Mellor has a tally of five goals and six assists in 17 under-23 games
- First team breakthrough
Mellor made his debut away at Astana in the Europa League. He played the final 25 minutes of the match, replacing Tahith Chong
- Missed 2020/21 season
He suffered an ACL injury in summer 2020, ruling him out for the season.
- French media deliver their verdicts on United star Paul Pogba’s display last night
- Fred impresses for Brazil again in dramatic win
- Five German legends comments on Manchester United bound Jadon Sancho
- Diogo Dalot posts message after making Portugal debut
- Victor Lindelof makes timely contribution to help Sweden finish top
- Manchester United fans react to Paul Pogba’s performance
- Pogba and Fernandes embrace at end of France and Portugal draw
- Paul Pogba produces another masterclass as France draw with Portugal
- Anthony Elanga’s rave reviews set him up perfectly for 2021/22
- Jadon Sancho agreement likely ‘in days’ – report
- Neville hails Harry Maguire’s ‘dominant’ performance in England win