Diogo Dalot had a memorable birthday on Thursday, although it probably did not go as he might have hoped.
The AC Milan defender was on the losing team against Manchester United, where he is on loan from.
Unfortunately for Dalot, he started the game on the bench and could not play a big part in the match.
He was a second half substitute alongside Zlatan Ibrahimovic as his side attempted to come back from a goal down, but were unable to break United’s defence.
Dalot sent a message after the game this morning, very much focused on Milan.
He wrote: “The adventure in Europe ends but with the certainty of being a strong team. We will soon return to battle on the international fields, the natural stage of Milan. I thank all of you for the good wishes received yesterday ❤️”
The message shows how invested Dalot is in Milan at the moment, and while it would have been nice of him to congratulate Manchester United, he was seen after the game in close discussion and greetings with the club’s players.
Dalot gave a good account of himself when he was on the pitch, making two interceptions, and always trying to drive forward.
Over the two legs he did well and competed strongly. This competition has been good for him overall, as he has made eight out of a possible 10 Europa League starts.
If Dalot signs permanently for Milan, or has his loan extended, he should be playing Champions League football next season, with the side sitting second in Serie A.
- Pogba and Fernandes embrace at end of France and Portugal draw
- Paul Pogba produces another masterclass as France draw with Portugal
- Anthony Elanga’s rave reviews set him up perfectly for 2021/22
- Jadon Sancho agreement likely ‘in days’ – report
- Neville hails Harry Maguire’s ‘dominant’ performance in England win
- How Paul Pogba’s salary compares to France international teammates
- Manchester United’s seven best under-18 players from the 20/21 season
- Jose Mourinho still finds a way to criticise Luke Shaw’s England performance
- Who is reported Manchester United target Kacper Kozlowski?
- Harry Maguire shows Manchester United what was missing in Gdansk
- Manchester United fans get excited about Rashford and Sancho’s England link up