Amad is preparing to try and win gold at the Olympic Games football tournament.
The tournament kicks off on July 22 (Thursday) and the Manchester United winger aims to play a successful part.
Amad is one of the contenders for this year’s Golden Boy Award, and as the MEN reported last week, he has made the cut from 100 nominees down to 80. This will continue to be whittled down as the year goes on.
A strong Olympic showing can only help Amad’s cause to win the prestigious award once won by Wayne Rooney and Lionel Messi.
Ivory Coast legend Didier Drogba is a big fan of Amad and sent him a message of encouragement on Instagram, telling him to continue representing his country, and the whole of Africa.
Drogba sent a message to Amad last month after his winning goal from a free-kick for the Ivory Coast against Burkina Faso. This was his first international strike.
Amad, 18, will benefit from playing games at the Olympics in the under-23 competition, which allows three over age players per squad. United teammate Eric Bailly is among them.
Ivory Coast have a tough group including Brazil and Germany and Amad’s involvement at the competition could only span a week. He would need to quarantine upon his return to the UK, but there remains a chance he could still be eligible for United by time the season kicks off.
If the Ivory Coast go far in the competition it will delay his return to Manchester but this is a great experience for him and if he ends it with a medal then it will all be worthwhile.
Amad’s fantastic career start
- Amad scored on his Atalanta debut
Amad made an instant impression scoring in a 7-1 win for Atalanta on his Serie A debut in 2019.
- Too good for United under-23s
In three games for Manchester United under-23s, Amad scored three goals and provided four assists.
- Europa League star
Amad scored in his third ever Europa League game, netting an opening goal against AC Milan.
- Premier League impact
Amad provided an assist on his first ever Premier League start, setting Mason Greenwood up for a goal against Leicester.
- International hero
On just his second international appearance, Amad scored a matchwinning free-kick for Ivory Coast against Burkina Faso.
- 'Over the moon': Manchester United wonderkid gives verdict on own performance and club's Champions League chances
- Rangnick praises two Manchester United players including one who is a 'fantastic person'
- 'I lost the ball'… Manchester United star accepts responsibility for role in Young Boys goal
- 'You deserve'… Bruno Fernandes congratulates teammate on making Manchester United debut
- Hargreaves praises 'really sharp' Manchester United youngster who could start for Rangnick this weekend
- 4 Manchester United players who will regret disappointing performances v Young Boys
- 'Love him', 'Class'… Some Manchester United fans react to teenager's performance v Young Boys
- Manchester United youngster matches Carlos Tevez achievement and best is yet to come
- Zidane Iqbal and Charlie Savage send messages after making Manchester United debut
- 'I'm truly sorry'… Amad sends apology to Manchester United supporters