David de Gea and Dean Henderson are battling it out for a first team spot at Manchester United.
Behind the scenes there is no animosity between the two, as they push each other and themselves to try and win over manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
The pair showed this in training on Monday as they teamed up in a head tennis tournament.
Henderson claimed on his Instagram page that the pair won it.
This week is Dean Henderson’s turn in goal with United in action in the Carabao Cup.
The way the fixtures have fallen, Solskjaer has been able to rotate for the opening four games.
Henderson kept a clean sheet against Luton Town in the last round.
As long as United keep progressing through the competition, Henderson will get more first team chances.
Whether he gets an opportunity in the Premier League is a bigger call, and likewise the Champions League.
It is likely Henderson will see some Champions League action over the six group stage games, but Solskjaer probably won’t go as far as assigning him to be the outright goalkeeper for the competition.
With only one position up for grabs, the pair will have to get used to sharing, at least in the short-term.
That won’t be easy for two players who have become used to being first choice.
Seeing them working well together and showing unity is encouraging that United might be able to make this delicate balancing act work.
- James Garner needs opportunity regardless of Paul Pogba future
- Mason Greenwood missing out on England squad would be good for Manchester United
- Raphael Varane: What Manchester United would be getting
- Photos: Cavani returns to Manchester United training after injury absence
- Paul Pogba’s cheeky message to Jadon Sancho
- Solskjaer offers injury update on Cavani ahead of Crystal Palace clash
- Donny van de Beek sends supportive message to Timothy Fosu-Mensah
- Fred calls on United to improve patchy home form
- Facundo Pellistri comments on going out on loan