Dean Henderson saves a shot in training from Jack Grealish. It could have been a line from Manchester United’s pre-season.
Instead the pair were battling it out for England, while Grealish’s prospects of a move to Manchester United are looking dim.
Henderson posted an image from a training session with England, saving a shot from Villa midfielder Grealish, a late call-up to the squad due to injuries.
Henderson’s save and his comment underlined his growing confidence, and how he is feeling comfortable with the step up to the England squad.
The young goalkeeper has returned to Old Trafford after two successful spells out on loan at Sheffield United.
After signing a long-term contract extension, Henderson is looking to compete with David de Gea for the United number one spot.
Confidence will help
Goalkeepers need personality to inspire confidence in their defenders, and to brush off negative moments.
Henderson is on a real high right now, and believes he has what it takes to topple De Gea.
The 23-year-old was quoted by The Guardian: “I’m so close now so I’m not going to give up – I’m going to put the pressure on. I respect David, he’s been a phenomenal servant for the football club and if not one of the best in recent years.
“It’s down to me. I know what challenges are ahead. I’m well up for it.”
He was an unused substitute for England against Iceland, and will be hoping he gets the nod against Denmark tomorrow night in the next Nations League clash.
He has a lot to prove, to back up his confident words. After the big strides he has made over the past couple of years, you would be taking a gamble to bet against him, for club and country.
- Thomas Tuchel praises Manchester United’s quality on the counter-attack
- Solskjaer talks up PSG defender Marquinhos ahead of Champions League clash
- Fragile PSG are vulnerable and dangerous: Manchester United must keep focus
- Predicted Manchester United XI v PSG
- United fans stunned to see Matteo Darmian score in the Champions League
- Scott McTominay returns to Manchester United training
- Gasperini praises Amad Diallo after Champions League debut
- Bruno Fernandes could make Manchester United pay up
- Amad Diallo makes Champions League debut