Dean Henderson kept a clean sheet on his Manchester United debut in a 3-0 win away at Luton Town.
Henderson did not have much to do for 80 minutes, before being called into action to make a spectacular late save.
With a bit of help from Eric Bailly who cleared an ensuring effort off the line, Henderson’s save kept United in front with the scoreline 1-0.
As Luton pushed forward to try and score an equaliser, United then wrapped the game up with two late strikes.
Henderson sent an emotional message after the game, saying this was a moment he has dreamed of.
After two years on loan at Sheffield United, Henderson has returned to Manchester United to fight for a first team spot.
He has a tough battle on his hands up against David de Gea, but it is not an impossible one.
De Gea has lost a step in recent seasons and Henderson’s arrival is a challenge he has to rise to.
This clean sheet will lift Henderson’s confidence further and help his cause in the battle to be number one.
De Gea will likely return for the Premier League fixture at the weekend, but United’s win at least gives Henderson a clear date in mind for his next appearance, in the fourth round of the Carabao Cup.
- Solskjaer switch to diamond offers Van de Beek hope
- Willy Kambwala makes impressive academy debut
- United will be impacted by Everton’s double suspension
- Manchester United loanee Levitt substituted off at half-time in Charlton win
- Manchester United now have an unpredictable approach which Solskjaer must master
- Manchester United tested switching Elanga’s position with encouraging results
- Bruno Fernandes at top of Premier League creative rankings
- Three players Manchester United should leave out of XI v RB Leipzig
- Brandon Williams looks like he may have switched to right-back