Dean Henderson played a key role in helping Manchester United to a win over rivals City.
This was Henderson’s first Premier League derby and he gave off an aura of total confidence throughout.
Henderson drew praise from a pundit who is notoriously hard to please, when it comes to Manchester United players at least.
Former Liverpool midfielder and manager Graeme Souness told Sky Sports he was, and always has been impressed by the young goalkeeper.
Souness said: “I liked him from the first moment I saw him play. I think he’s going to be a top goalkeeper.
“He had a couple of things to deal with but was never stretched. Maybe its because he is so good.”
Henderson played part in United’s goal
Henderson took three actions which played a key role in helping United score the second goal.
Firstly he came to claim a high cross. This has been one of David de Gea’s weaknesses.
Secondly, Henderson held onto the ball before making his next move, allowing United’s attackers to get into position up field.
Then he launched a Peter Schmeichel-esque throw forward which set off the move which led to Luke Shaw scoring his first goal of the season.
Henderson was calm and played like a first team goalkeeper, not a stand-in.
This was his 16th match of the season and another clean sheet to add to his records.
United have a big decision to make regarding Henderson and David de Gea in the summer. Henderson is showing that he can be depended on.
If United do go with the younger Henderson and decide to move De Gea on, then it could be this game which swings it in his favour.
Henderson has shown he can handle the pressure and United know they can rely on him.
- Arnau Puigmal announces Manchester United departure
- Could Jadon Sancho end up as Paul Pogba’s replacement?
- Tom Heaton to United would bring his free agent exit full circle after angering Fergie
- Three reasons Manchester United should play Hannibal against Fulham
- Every trophy won by Manchester United
- Manchester United fans are the best, says Solskjaer, as he hopes for lift from crowd return
- Solskjaer says Martial and James not ready to start v Fulham
- Villarreal striker Moreno scores 29th goal of the season ahead of United clash
- Manchester United target Sven Botman produces man of the match performance for Lille
- Dan James returns to Manchester United training
- Who is reported Manchester United target Mauro Arambarri?