Manchester United’s friendly against Aston Villa was a useful workout for the players ahead of next week’s Premier League kick-off.
It was a first workout for Donny van de Beek in Manchester United colours, and the new signing from Ajax played all 90 minutes.
Van de Bee was pleased to get out there and sent a message to fans on social media afterwards.
The Dutchman says he is already looking forward to United’s first match of the season against Crystal Palace.
Van de Beek was joined in the starting line-up by goalkeeper Dean Henderson.
Henderson put in an assured performance in goal as he stepped in for David de Gea, who was not involved.
The England international also sent a message, saying he can’t wait to get started.
Henderson is by no means certain to start United’s first game, De Gea is the favourite to do so.
However, he did his chances no harm at all with his performance at the weekend.
Henderson versus De Gea is a good problem for United to have. Two talented goalkeepers might give Ole Gunnar Solskjaer a tough decision, but the extra competition will raise standards across the board.
- Solskjaer praises Donny van de Beek as midfielder sends message to fans
- Manchester United’s season feels over before it has really begun
- Six things learned as Manchester United lose to Crystal Palace
- Confirmed Manchester United line up v Crystal Palace
- Teden Mengi could have early season chance to impress for Manchester United
- How Donny van de Beek can use Manchester United fan frustration as motivation
- Four reasons for Manchester United to be optimistic
- Solskjaer tips Eric Bailly for big role in 2020/21
- Roma manager Paulo Fonseca offers update on Chris Smalling’s situation
- Manchester United wrong to blame supporters for negativity
- Max Taylor will be hoping for third time lucky as he looks for a loan club