David de Gea has suggested Manchester United may need to sign ‘experienced’ players to take the next step.
United finished in third place in the Premier League, 33 points behind the league leaders, and lost in the semi-finals of the Carabao Cup, FA Cup, and Europa League.
De Gea told The Mail: “Maybe we need a bit more experience in the team.
“Let’s keep improving, let’s keep fighting for this club and let’s try to win trophies next season.”
The club’s strategy since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer took charge has mainly been to look at younger players, with potential, veering away from targeting big name stars.
This summer United have been linked with signing 20-year-old Jadon Sancho (MEN) along with a number of rising stars.
In January United signed Bruno Fernandes, 25, and this may be a middle ground the club look to repeat when it comes to adding experience, rather than targeting players in their 30s.
It is worth noting though that Nemanja Matic is still a big part of this team at 32. His experience was invaluable over the final few weeks of the Premier League season.
United have options and it is unclear which path the club will take in the transfer window, with three weeks already gone with no signings made, while rival clubs have already strengthened.
Pick up the phone Dave
There is one experienced player who De Gea knows well who he could try to personally tempt to Old Trafford, having tried and failed before.
That would be Bayern Munich star Thiago Alcantara, who The Guardian report is keen on a new challenge.
He has one year left on his contract and Bayern are seeking £27 million. Liverpool have been linked, but are unwilling to pay the price.
This is where United should swoop in to sign a player who De Gea played with at Spain under-21 and senior level.
Thiago is 29, younger than Matic, and can help United to dominate games. He showed this week he was still a force, as he helped Bayern Munich destroy Barcelona.
Whether United go this route is unclear, but De Gea’s comment was interesting to hear.
- Solskjaer says Van de Beek is still an injury doubt for Palace game
- Amad Diallo sends message ahead of United’s game at Palace
- James Garner needs opportunity regardless of Paul Pogba future
- Mason Greenwood missing out on England squad would be good for Manchester United
- Raphael Varane: What Manchester United would be getting
- Photos: Cavani returns to Manchester United training after injury absence
- Paul Pogba’s cheeky message to Jadon Sancho
- Solskjaer offers injury update on Cavani ahead of Crystal Palace clash
- Donny van de Beek sends supportive message to Timothy Fosu-Mensah
- Fred calls on United to improve patchy home form