Daniel James made a flying start to his Manchester United career last season.
He smashed in three goals in his first four United games having moved from Swansea.
Then he went on to score in Wales’ 1-0 win over Belarus last September to continue his rampant form.
Thereafter, James tailed off. Understandably so, as it was too much to ask an inexperienced winger in his first top flight season to play as often as he did and keep firing.
Before United kick off their 2020/21 campaign, James is on duty with Wales and his international manager Ryan Giggs has explained why he’s backing the winger to be back stronger this term.
Giggs backing James to shine again
As per the Daily Mail, United legend Giggs has explained why he feels the time James spent out of the side at the end of last season could be beneficial.
“Dan didn’t play as much towards the end of the season, but sometimes in the long run that can help you.
“Knowing Dan, the way he trains and his attitude, he will come through and be all the better for it. It is a chance to get some form back to go back to their clubs and show them what they can do.
“Perhaps DJ is in that camp. United start a week later but DJ will turn up fit and raring to go. He has always been great when he has come into camp.”
James is a key player for Wales. That provides the perfect change from United right now, where he was very much a bench option in the closing weeks of the season.
He will relish taking on that responsibility and the high chance of playing two full matches.
If he can get a goal or an assist, to remind Ole Gunnar Solskjaer what he can do, then that’s all the better.
A fresh, confident James can be a real asset to United in terms of pinning defences back or changing matches off the bench.
He showed himself capable of starting a campaign on fire last time around and a good international break could be the springboard for James to do exactly that once again.
- Mata’s impressed Solskjaer in training: Could he resume van de Beek partnership tonight?
- Manchester United loanee Facundo Pellistri returns to Alaves training after injury
- Solskjaer says United believe Will Fish could be a star
- Three things we want to see in Paul Pogba’s Amazon ‘Pogmentary’
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Granada
- Manchester United fans react to Jude Bellingham’s Champions League performance
- Three key questions as Declan Rice to Manchester United rumours grow stronger
- Brandon Williams will fancy his chances of rare game time for United tonight
- What channel is the Man Utd v Granada Europa League match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news