Manchester United’s decision to extend Juan Mata’s contract was a move which split opinion among fans earlier this summer.
One person very glad that United did give Mata a 12-month extension is teammate Dan James.
Speaking to United’s club website, James explained that Mata was one of his idols before he joined the Red Devils.
James said: “I’d like to say Thierry Henry was a player I always grew up watching. He was unbelievable as soon as he came to the Premier League and he was a great player. And also, a player that I play with now, Juan [Mata] was always an idol of mine growing up and such a professional as well.”
Mata is a player who has proven his quality over the course of his career and is still hoping he can add value to United.
Part of what Mata can bring to the squad is his experience, and the tutelage he can provide to the squad’s younger players.
United’s side is stacked with young players, and Mata balances is out. His impact working with them, and setting standards of professionalism along with his talent, could leave a lasting impact for years to come.
James, 23, clearly holds the Spaniard in high regard, and the veteran attacker, 33, will be hoping he can contribute a few memorable moments on the pitch over the next season to make his extended stay worthwhile.
- Next Manchester United manager: Four replacements if Solskjaer is sacked
- Cristiano Ronaldo sends message to Manchester United fans after defeat
- David de Gea sends strong message to Manchester United fans
- Jesse Lingard clarifies what happened with Manchester United fan
- Bastian Schweinsteiger reacts to Manchester United’s defeat to Liverpool
- ‘Paul Scholes was right’… United fans react to Liverpool defeat
- Solskjaer reacts to United’s 5-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Harry Maguire reacts to United’s 5-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Manchester United’s three worst players against Liverpool
- Sir Alex Ferguson fumes as Manchester United hammered by Liverpool