Manchester United’s 4-1 win over Istanbul Basaksehir saw Bruno Fernandes and Donny van de Beek steal the show.
It was a big night for United, with the first 45 minutes among the best halves of football the team has put together this season.
While the starters thrived, it was also a big night for a couple of the substitutes.
Dan James came off the bench for the final half an hour and scored in injury time.
Appreciating the magnitude of his achievement, James commented after the game expressing his delight at scoring his first ever Champions League goal.
James needed this game to give his United season a boost. He had seemed a little close to wasting the opportunity.
The Welshman struggled to create any sort of spark for most of his substitute appearance, before a run and cross towards the end of the game nearly provided an assist.
Moments later he was on the receiving end as Mason Greenwood found him in space inside the box. James made no mistake as he clipped the ball into the net for United’s fourth.
Another substitute, Brandon Williams, was delighted to come off the bench and make his first ever appearance in the competition.
Williams travelled with United to Paris in 2019 but did not make the bench, and then throughout this competition so far he has been an unused substitute.
In this match he came off the bench to replace Aaron Wan-Bissaka for the final half an hour.
His message like James’ was a reminder that he is still ticking off personal milestones. This could be the first appearance of many for him in the competition.
- Manni Norkett: The next top Manchester United academy striker you need to know
- Getting Anthony Martial back to his best could transform Manchester United
- No Rashford and possibly no Sancho: Who starts for Manchester United on the wing against Leeds?
- Ethan Laird is wanted by Swansea and a loan move looks essential
- Looking back at United reportedly agreeing terms with Sancho a year ago
- Aurelien Tchouameni shows why Manchester United should be interested
- Kieran Trippier returns to training for Atletico Madrid
- Manchester United fans react to Lukaku to Chelsea reports
- Fred spotted back in Manchester United training