Cristiano Ronaldo sends message to Manchester United fans after defeat
Cristiano Ronaldo’s run of scoring in three consecutive matches since his Manchester United return came to an end.
And so did his unbeaten record against Aston Villa, with the away side winning 1-0 at Old Trafford.
Ronaldo has sent a message out in reaction to the loss. He intends to put the situation right quickly.
United’s miserable day was compounded by Bruno Fernandes missing an injury time penalty.
Ronaldo stepped aside to let Fernandes take it. He may not do so next time.
Losing was a major blow for United with the unbeaten start to the league season coming to an end in the sixth game.
United had scored nine goals in the opening two home league games this season, before drawing a blank here.
Spaces opened up early in the game and United looked bright at times but could not take advantage.
Villa grew into the game and scored a late goal in the 88th minute.
Fernandes’ missed penalty to equalise rubbed salt in the wound and compounded a miserable day in which the team lost Luke Shaw and Harry Maguire to injury.
Villarreal at home is up next and that may not be a fun evening on the evidence of the last two home games. United are under pressure and need leaders like Ronaldo to step up.
- Report: 'Outstanding' 22-year-old talent is now all set to leave Manchester United on loan
- 'Already had contact': Club chiefs admit they have had transfer interest in reported Manchester United target
- £67.5m star hands in transfer request with Manchester United linked
- Club confirm signing of 'high calibre' young player released by Manchester United
- Opinion: Cristiano Ronaldo frustration is understandable as Murtough continues to strike out
- Reward for failure: MUST criticise 'indefensible' £11m Glazer dividend payment
- 'Graveyard'… Neville says Glazers to blame as Manchester United battle for signing
- Last ditch effort to sign Manchester United midfielder being considered, 51 games played this season
- Ajax star who just quit tips Manchester United transfer target to leave for big fee