Cristiano Ronaldo’s run of scoring in three consecutive matches since his Manchester United return came to an end.
And so did his unbeaten record against Aston Villa, with the away side winning 1-0 at Old Trafford.
Ronaldo has sent a message out in reaction to the loss. He intends to put the situation right quickly.
United’s miserable day was compounded by Bruno Fernandes missing an injury time penalty.
Ronaldo stepped aside to let Fernandes take it. He may not do so next time.
Losing was a major blow for United with the unbeaten start to the league season coming to an end in the sixth game.
United had scored nine goals in the opening two home league games this season, before drawing a blank here.
Spaces opened up early in the game and United looked bright at times but could not take advantage.
Villa grew into the game and scored a late goal in the 88th minute.
Fernandes’ missed penalty to equalise rubbed salt in the wound and compounded a miserable day in which the team lost Luke Shaw and Harry Maguire to injury.
Villarreal at home is up next and that may not be a fun evening on the evidence of the last two home games. United are under pressure and need leaders like Ronaldo to step up.
- Manchester United’s weakened defence have to contain in-form Duvan Zapata
- Marcus Rashford return could help Luke Shaw rediscover best form
- Tielemans dominated United and showed Solskjaer what he needs and lacks
- Bruno Fernandes made most key passes in the Premier League at weekend
- Manchester United’s players ‘lack grit’ says BBC pundit
- Kobbie Mainoo scores incredible solo goal for England under-17s
- Josip Ilicic hits form at worst possible time for Manchester United
- Ethan Laird impresses with another dazzling loan performance
- Paul Pogba fighting for his place despite his call to improve