Could Charlie McNeill get called up to Manchester United first team squad tonight?
Manchester United play in the third round of the Carabao Cup tonight against West Ham.
Key first team players like Cristiano Ronaldo and Bruno Fernandes are likely going to be rested.
What we don’t know, yet, is whether Edinson Cavani has been passed fit to play.
Anthony Martial will likely start in attack, with Cavani a possibility from the bench if he is ready. If Cavani is not ready to go, then, United may have an alternative.
Will Charlie McNeill be called up?
Manchester United’s under-21 side took on Bradford City in the EFL Trophy last night. Shola Shoretire and Teden Mengi were among the players who started, and likely won’t be in the squad against West Ham.
Hannibal missed the game due to suspension and so could be in the first team squad, while Anthony Elanga was left out – to focus on the first team, Solskjaer confirmed.
One surprise and notable name missing from the under-21s line-up was striker Charlie McNeill.
McNeill started and scored in the previous under-21 game in the EFL Trophy, netting in the 3-2 loss at Lincoln.
This is one of two goals he has this season since stepping up from the under-18s, and at the weekend he was in action as a substitute, making a game changing impact.
It was McNeill’s hard work inside the penalty box against Brighton which set up Zidane Iqbal for the 89th minute winner.
Prior to last night, McNeill had featured in all five under-23 games, the one EFL Trophy game, and the one UEFA Youth League match. This was the first game he has missed. Curious timing.
We are certainly speculating here, based on the circumstances with United possibly needing a young forward to fill in on the bench if Cavani is not fit, and McNeill’s surprise absence against Bradford. But he could be one to look out for tonight.
A promising and prolific young forward
McNeill, now 18, signed for Manchester United from Manchester City a year ago.
Last season he scored 25 goals for United’s under-18s side, which included 24 in 21 league matches.
It is a long shot McNeill plays for United against West Ham, but it is possible he makes the bench.
Of course, McNeill’s absence from the under-21s against Bradford could have been down to an injury the club have not disclosed.
But it would be so much more exciting if he has been called up to the first team, and we will soon find out this evening.
- Ten Hag eyeing £25 million move for Ajax's player of the season
- 5 alternatives to Frenkie de Jong for Manchester United, one is free, another is the PL's top bargain
- Manchester United target Antony could leave Ajax this summer, admits Daley Blind
- 19-year-old defensive midfielder thrilled to join Cristiano Ronaldo in Manchester United training
- 'He can completely destroy an opponent': Ten Hag's £14.4m Ajax star raves about former Manchester United boss
- Manchester United XI that could leave this summer, including two France internationals
- 20-year-old Manchester United talent compared to De Ligt could be big winner under Ten Hag
- Ralf Rangnick gets triple injury boost ahead of final game as Manchester United manager
- Brazilian press report Antony is keen to leave Ajax, Manchester United make 'concrete proposal'
- An XI of players that has played with Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi including 3 former Manchester United stars