Charlie McNeill making a good first impression at Manchester United
Young striker Charlie McNeill is making a strong impression since his summer switch to join Manchester United’s academy.
McNeill, 17, saw his Manchester United move go through in late September after speculation which began in July.
United signed him for a fee which could rise to a maximum of £1.5 million, with an initial payment of six figures.
The MEN report a source says McNeill’s training performances have been ‘ridiculously good’.
McNeill scored on his debut for the under-18s, bagging two goals in a 4-0 win over Derby.
The teenager is a real goal poacher and his next task will be to start producing the performance he managed on his debut, on a regular basis.
There is quite a bit of competition now at youth level up front, with Joe Hugill, another summer signing, already progressing to the under-23s. That same pathway will be available to McNeill if he keeps on scoring.
Mason Greenwood, 18, is already playing regularly for the first team, and while there is a queue of forwards at first team level too.
Ultimately if McNeill is good enough, he should get his shot. He is back at the club now where he wants to succeed, and he will give it his all in order to do so.
To be hearing these kind of reports about him early on are very encouraging, and he needs to continue to train hard and play hard.
Charlie McNeill: What you need to know
- United to City and back again
McNeill began his career in United’s academy before leaving for City six years ago. He has since returned ‘home’.
- Competition for his signature
City wanted to keep McNeill, while Rangers, Leeds, Wolves and RB Leipzig were all linked with signing him after he rejected a contract extension at The Etihad.
- Youth international
McNeill has represented England at under-16 level, scoring in a win over Moldova.
- Manchester United loanee's World Cup hopes receive double boost in matter of days
- 'Going to be some footballer': Manager explains how 'supremely talented' Manchester United loanee can hit the top
- Report: Erik ten Hag allowed two fuming Manchester United stars to lead half-time rant at Etihad
- 'Man United are delighted'… Manager says loanee's performances are being noted at Old Trafford
- 'He is the future': Manager raves about 'excellent' Manchester United loanee after securing first win
- Manchester United now have an exciting new partnership to build around
- 98% Pass completion: Manchester United star has just jumped the first team queue
- 'He's not scared'… Ferdinand names one Manchester United star who would have starred v City
- Manchester United star's impressive performances are going ignored by press amid tiresome new signing debate