Young striker Charlie McNeill is making a strong impression since his summer switch to join Manchester United’s academy.
McNeill, 17, saw his Manchester United move go through in late September after speculation which began in July.
United signed him for a fee which could rise to a maximum of £1.5 million, with an initial payment of six figures.
The MEN report a source says McNeill’s training performances have been ‘ridiculously good’.
McNeill scored on his debut for the under-18s, bagging two goals in a 4-0 win over Derby.
The teenager is a real goal poacher and his next task will be to start producing the performance he managed on his debut, on a regular basis.
There is quite a bit of competition now at youth level up front, with Joe Hugill, another summer signing, already progressing to the under-23s. That same pathway will be available to McNeill if he keeps on scoring.
Mason Greenwood, 18, is already playing regularly for the first team, and while there is a queue of forwards at first team level too.
Ultimately if McNeill is good enough, he should get his shot. He is back at the club now where he wants to succeed, and he will give it his all in order to do so.
To be hearing these kind of reports about him early on are very encouraging, and he needs to continue to train hard and play hard.
Charlie McNeill: What you need to know
- United to City and back again
McNeill began his career in United’s academy before leaving for City six years ago. He has since returned ‘home’.
- Competition for his signature
City wanted to keep McNeill, while Rangers, Leeds, Wolves and RB Leipzig were all linked with signing him after he rejected a contract extension at The Etihad.
- Youth international
McNeill has represented England at under-16 level, scoring in a win over Moldova.
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Aston Villa
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s record against Aston Villa
- David de Gea excited by Cristiano Ronaldo’s early impact
- Solskjaer offers update on Cavani ahead of Villa clash
- Aston Villa boss Smith raves about United loanee Axel Tuanzebe
- Manchester United’s top under-23s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22
- Manchester United’s top under-18s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22
- Manchester United have doubts over signing Declan Rice
- Uruguay negotiating to try and secure Edinson Cavani release for October international fixtures