Bruno Fernandes nominated for Champions League player of the week
Bruno Fernandes needed just 59 minutes to complete his night’s work for Manchester United against Istanbul Basaksehir.
Fernandes scored two goals in United’s 4-1 victory, which opened up a three point gap at the top of Champions League Group H.
UEFA have named Fernandes as one of four nominees for the Champions League Player of the Week.
The other three nominees are Borussia Dortmund’s Jadon Sancho, who scored once in their win, Atalanta’s Robin Gosens, who helped his side beat Liverpool, and Ajax’s Dusan Tadic.
Fernandes was also named by Whoscored.com in their matchday four Team of the Week. He was the only United player selected.
The United star could have had a hat-trick. Indeed it seemed inevitable when the team were handed a first half penalty.
Fernandes surprisingly handed the ball to Marcus Rashford, who set a United club record in the process.
He made it look easy
Fernandes has been starring in the Champions League this season like he has been playing at this level his whole career.
It is easy to forget that is not the case. This season he has three goals and one assist in four Champions League games.
His only previous experience in the competition was with Sporting back in 2017, in which he played six games and scored once.
Fernandes has grown a lot since then and become a far better player. Now instead of just playing on the big stage, he is owning it.
- Report: Manchester United reach agreement in principle to sign former Manchester City youngster
- Manchester United set to lose race to sign £55m wonderkid according to Romano
- 3 things we learned about Erik ten Hag from Manchester United’s opening game
- 'Leading option'… Manchester United make move for Juventus midfielder as De Jong alternative
- £31m Manchester United star has big part to play despite Ten Hag opening day snub
- Manchester United target said Red Devils star on 'another planet' and was criticised by Neville
- Laporta tells two Barcelona players to leave and makes Frenkie de Jong statement amid Manchester United reports
- 19 passes completed in 79 minutes: Manchester United star is simply not good enough
- 5 reasons Manchester United lost 2-1 to Brighton on opening day of the season
- Erik ten Hag picks out Manchester United star for praise after 2-1 defeat
- Roy Keane blasts Manchester United pre-season 'PR'