Brandon Williams’ first game at Wembley for Manchester United did not end as he wanted it to.
United lost the FA Cup semi-final to Chelsea 3-1, with Williams giving the ball away for the Blues’ second goal.
The first also came from a cross from his side, and he will have been disappointed not to have been more defensively resolute.
He was not the only one to defend poorly, with Harry Maguire scoring an own goal, while a lack of alertness from Victor Lindelof allowed Olivier Giroud to nip in and score Chelsea’s opener.
For his part at least, Williams has addressed the individual errors which plagued the team, and vowed to learn.
Williams, 19, was praised by manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer after the game for the way he responded in the second half.
Solskjaer told the club website: “He probably felt a bit responsible, but for the rest of the half he was absolutely outstanding.
“The kid has been out for a while and not played, and had the eye injury, but his character and personality out there was great, he kept going and kept going.”
Williams has a chance to get straight back to action this week against West Ham if Luke Shaw is not passed fit.
Having suffered a painful head injury a week earlier against Southampton, Williams has endured a tough few days.
He will be keen to get back on the pitch as quickly as possible and put his last two appearances behind him.
This has been a really positive breakthrough season for the teenager and it would be great for him if he is able to end it on a high note, playing a part in Manchester United clinching a Champions League place.
- Marcus Rashford praises two United teammates after PSG victory
- Rio Ferdinand’s instant reaction to Manchester United beating PSG
- Five things we learned as Manchester United beat PSG 2-1
- Confirmed Manchester United line-up v PSG
- Is this the best front six to get Van de Beek into United’s starting XI?
- Teden Mengi’s step down to United under-23s a necessary detour on his way to the top
- Paul Pogba must earn back a regular starting spot in United’s best XI
- Kylian Mbappe raves about two Manchester United players
- Fans react to Bruno Fernandes being handed captaincy for PSG clash