Manchester United’s upcoming Champions League opponents Atalanta have been hit by another injury blow.
Now he is set to be joined by attacking midfielder Matteo Pessina.
Pessina scored the winning goal for Atalanta against Young Boys at the end of September to send them to the top of the group.
But he was stretchered off against AC Milan in the Serie A clash last Sunday.
Pessina had to pull out of the Italy squad over the international break.
Now newspaper L’Eco Di Bergamo report Pessina faces one and a half months on the sidelines.
This would rule the 24-year-old midfielder out of the two matches with Manchester United, due to be held on October 16 and November 2.
Pessina has four goals in 11 matches for Italy and he had featured in eight games for Atalanta to start the season.
Double blow but United without players too
Atalanta’s double blow benefits United in the scrap to finish in the top two in a very competitive group so far, where all four teams are separated by just two points after two games.
But United are without a couple of players too. Aaron Wan-Bissaka is facing a second game of suspension unless an appeal is successful.
Harry Maguire is on course to miss the first game against Atalanta at least.
There are never any guarantees in the Champions League and Atalanta make for a seriously tricky tactical test for United whoever lines up in their starting XI.
It’s certainly true though that they are a little less threatening without Gosens and Pessina available.
Manchester United’s next 10 fixtures after the international break
- Leicester City (A)
Saturday October 16, 3pm, Premier League
- Atalanta (H)
Wednesday October 20, 8pm, Champions League
- Liverpool (H)
Sunday October 24, 4.30pm, Premier League
- Tottenham (A)
Saturday October 30, 5.30pm, Premier League
- Atalanta (A)
Tuesday November 2, 8pm, Champions League
- Manchester City (H)
Saturday November 6, 12.30pm, Premier League
- Watford (A)
Saturday November 20, 3pm, Premier League
- Villarreal (A)
Tuesday November 23, 5.45pm, Champions League
- Chelsea (A)
Sunday November 28, 4.30pm, Premier League
- Arsenal (H)
Tuesday November 30, 8pm, Premier League
- Next Manchester United manager: Four replacements if Solskjaer is sacked
- Cristiano Ronaldo sends message to Manchester United fans after defeat
- David de Gea sends strong message to Manchester United fans
- Jesse Lingard clarifies what happened with Manchester United fan
- Bastian Schweinsteiger reacts to Manchester United’s defeat to Liverpool
- ‘Paul Scholes was right’… United fans react to Liverpool defeat
- Solskjaer reacts to United’s 5-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Harry Maguire reacts to United’s 5-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Manchester United’s three worst players against Liverpool