Anthony Martial’s night against Everton went quickly from the ridiculous to the sublime.
At first the Frenchman struggled to have an impact, and then when he did get a chance inside the penalty area he had a comical miscue. Martial touched the ball with his wrong foot and before he could shoot, it trailed off for a goal kick.
Fortunately his night got better. Martial laid on the pass for Edinson Cavani’s opener as helped transition a swift counter attack.
The 87th goal gave United a deserved lead and decided the game. Martial still had time to add another.
He latched onto a late pass from Marcus Rashford to slide the ball into the net for the last kick of the game. It was an easy finish, and also the type of chance he missed against Leeds, so it was good to see him score this one.
Martial has been impressive since returning to the side after a brief injury which caused him to miss the Leipzig game.
In his last three matches he has six goal contributions, four assists and two goals.
Martial is now on four goals for the season and five assists. It is impressive to see how his recent spurt has enabled him to kick on.
The Frenchman is a confidence player, and we said after his goal and assists against Sheffield United last week, that this could see him go on a run.
Martial needed just 24 minutes to make a difference, and touched the ball just 15 times in this span.
There is a big decision to be made over who starts the next game, Martial or Cavani. It is a good position for United to be in, and competition seems to have once again brought the best out of the Frenchman.
- Solskjaer is getting it the wrong way round with Eric Bailly’s Manchester United games
- Why Dean Henderson won’t be leaving Manchester United permanently this summer
- Manchester United’s Dan James will be hoping for another moment of magic against Chelsea
- Amad Diallo showed a new side to his game against Real Sociedad
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Chelsea
- Who is reported United target Gleison Bremer?
- Eric Bailly says Sergio Ramos is his idol
- Solskjaer says Martial is working very hard to improve
- Can Diogo Dalot play against Manchester United in the Europa League?