On a day where one bright Manchester United youngster decided to walk away from the club, another showed he is ready for superstardom.
Mason Greenwood netted his 13th Manchester goal in the 3-0 win over Brighton, opening the scoring at the Amex.
Angel Gomes meanwhile had said his goodbyes already, allowing his contract to wind down.
Greenwood paid tribute to his pal and former under-23 teammate, making an A sign for Angel with his fingers after scoring United’s opener.
Gomes saw the message and showed his appreciation, thanking the forward and describing him as a ‘special, special player’.
While sad to see Gomes departing, this is the path he has chosen, and feels is necessary after a lack of first team starts.
Greenwood has seized his opportunities, scoring the winner early in the season on his first start at home to Astana in the Europa League.
Gomes started that game too, but since then the two players have been on very different paths.
What happens next with Gomes is anyone’s guess, but Greenwood looks a sure bet to become a United hero over the next few years at the very least.
If he lives up to his potential he could become a legend. It’s tough to make expectations so high so early on, yet everything we have seen of this young lad so far convinces us he is a special player, and destined for the very top.
At just 18-years-old, Greenwood’s potential is truly frightening, and he topped it off with an perfectly judged assist with a cross for Bruno Fernandes to score United’s third.
- Angel Gomes impresses in debut for Boavista after quitting United
- Paul Pogba’s performance puts his place in doubt v Brighton
- United loanee Tahith Chong praised by Werder Bremen teammate
- Alex Telles shows Manchester United what he is capable of
- Bruno Fernandes kept up his high quality even if United teammates did not
- Warning signs over Victor Lindelof have been there for Manchester United
- It’s time for Jesse Lingard to move on, but £30m seems too good to be true
- Luke Shaw calls for Manchester United to sign more players
- Solskjaer praises Donny van de Beek as midfielder sends message to fans