One year ago ahead of Manchester United’s 2-1 defeat at home to Crystal Palace some supporters were calling for Angel Gomes to start the game.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer went with Jesse Lingard instead, in a move which ended up summing up Gomes’ frustrating 2019/20 season.
It came as little surprise that the youngster decided to reject United’s offer of a new contract at the end of June, given that he was not picked to start a Premier League game all season.
On the same day United lost to Palace to start this new season, Gomes was making his debut in Portugal.
Gomes signed for Lille in August, before being sent out on a season long loan to Boavista. The move has got off to the perfect start.
Showed his quality
The loan in Portugal is being used as a warm up year for Gomes so he can play regularly before getting a chance for Lille.
He was impressive for Boavista in an entertaining 3-3 draw away at Nacional.
Gomes created four chances and provided two assists in a man-of-the-match performance for his team.
The 20-year-old was picked to start up front in a show of trust from manager Vasco Seabra.
Gomes caught the eye of AC Milan’s Portuguese player Rafael Leao, who wrote: “Angel Gomes has brought shine to the Portuguese championship.”
It is good to see Gomes playing well. It was obvious he was a talent, who just did not get the opportunities he needed at United.
The big disappointment is that he did not sign a new deal before being sent out on loan by United.
This is just the start of Gomes’ career away from Old Trafford, and it appears like he may go on to make United regret not giving him a bigger role.
The 10 players released by Manchester United on June 30
- Aidan Barlow
Without a club
- Angel Gomes
Lille on loan at Boavista
- Cameron Borthwick-Jackson
- Alex Fojticek
- Ethan Hamilton
- Dion McGhee
Without a club
- Demetri Mitchell
- Kieran O’Hara
- Largie Ramazani
- George Tanner
- United will be impacted by Everton’s double suspension
- Manchester United loanee Levitt substituted off at half-time in Charlton win
- Manchester United now have an unpredictable approach which Solskjaer must master
- Manchester United tested switching Elanga’s position with encouraging results
- Bruno Fernandes at top of Premier League creative rankings
- Three players Manchester United should leave out of XI v RB Leipzig
- Brandon Williams looks like he may have switched to right-back
- Maguire and Lindelof share the same view on United’s draw with Chelsea
- Manchester United fans praise Victor Lindelof’s performance