Calls are growing louder for Angel Gomes to feature this weekend for Manchester United against Crystal Palace.
Jesse Lingard has struggled to make an impact in United’s opening two games, while Gomes has not even made the bench.
Gomes, 18, showed his potential in pre-season, most notably scoring a superb solo winner against Tottenham.
Now against the club which he made his debut against in 2017, there are calls for the youngster to get the nod.
Is it realistic?
Gomes has been training with the United first team this season and has not featured in the last two under-23 games.
He has been unlucky not to be on the bench, and the game against Wolves showed United need more attacking options.
A start may be a stretch. Andreas Pereira is a more likely replacement for Jesse Lingard, but Gomes should really make the matchday 18.
There is more benefit to Gomes being on the bench in a home game against Palace than a defensive midfielder like Nemanja Matic.
Solskjaer really needs to do something to show Lingard he is under pressure.
Could it do any harm?
There is a chance that the pressure growing on Gomes could be detrimental, but only a slim one.
Gomes’ is talented and just watching him on the ball is a joy. He has the potential to really lift the crowd.
A winnable home game like this is better to put him into to test him out, rather than a tricky away fixture.
With uncertainty over his contract which expires in 2020, it may actually be more detrimental not to give him opportunities.
Calls for Gomes
- Michael Owen says he expects Manchester United to challenge for the title
- Manchester United fans predict Sancho deal will be announced on the 7th
- A look back at Ethan Laird’s statement of intent for United one year ago
- The cost of slashing Jack Grealish’s asking price may be one Solskjaer won’t want to consider
- Three reasons Jadon Sancho to Manchester United finally looks to be on