Manchester United fans call for Angel Gomes to feature against Palace
Calls are growing louder for Angel Gomes to feature this weekend for Manchester United against Crystal Palace.
Jesse Lingard has struggled to make an impact in United’s opening two games, while Gomes has not even made the bench.
Gomes, 18, showed his potential in pre-season, most notably scoring a superb solo winner against Tottenham.
Now against the club which he made his debut against in 2017, there are calls for the youngster to get the nod.
Is it realistic?
Gomes has been training with the United first team this season and has not featured in the last two under-23 games.
He has been unlucky not to be on the bench, and the game against Wolves showed United need more attacking options.
A start may be a stretch. Andreas Pereira is a more likely replacement for Jesse Lingard, but Gomes should really make the matchday 18.
There is more benefit to Gomes being on the bench in a home game against Palace than a defensive midfielder like Nemanja Matic.
Solskjaer really needs to do something to show Lingard he is under pressure.
Could it do any harm?
There is a chance that the pressure growing on Gomes could be detrimental, but only a slim one.
Gomes’ is talented and just watching him on the ball is a joy. He has the potential to really lift the crowd.
A winnable home game like this is better to put him into to test him out, rather than a tricky away fixture.
With uncertainty over his contract which expires in 2020, it may actually be more detrimental not to give him opportunities.
Calls for Gomes
- Neymar hails Manchester United star as 'best in the world'
- Flying Manchester United loanee’s season plunged into fresh uncertainty
- Photos: Brazil legends react to Casemiro goal against Switzerland
- Member of Erik ten Hag's Manchester United coaching staff tipped to get managerial job in England
- 'Thanks my boss': Forward reportedly on Ten Hag's radar pays tribute to Manchester United star's creative qualities