Manchester United take on Arsenal tonight in a Premier League game at Old Trafford. The match will be screened on Amazon.
Michael Carrick will take charge as caretaker boss for the third game, with interim manager Ralf Rangnick’s work permit not yet approved. Carrick is unbeaten in his first two games.
Tonight’s game with Arsenal is a big one for both clubs. United’s slide in form places the Gunners five points ahead. Arsenal have been in good form over the past couple of months, although did lose their last away fixture 4-0 at Liverpool.
United’s home form has been desperately poor, with no Premier League wins at Old Trafford since early September. United have also failed to win any of the last five matches against Arsenal.
Carrick has numerous big decisions to make tonight as he looks to steer United back on track and keep up momentum.
Which formation will United use?
In Carrick’s first game in charge United utilised a 4-3-3, with Bruno Fernandes dropping out.
Against Chelsea, United played more of a diamond midfield formation with a 4-4-2 or 4-3-1-2, with Marcus Rashford and Jadon Sancho leading the line as split wide forwards.
For this home game expect to see Cristiano Ronaldo return to lead the line – as suggested by Paul Scholes – with United reverting to a 4-3-3 formation.
Who gets the start?
Solskjaer’s first big decision comes in central defence, with Harry Maguire eligible to return from suspension.
Carrick has already shown he is not afraid to make big calls, with Fernandes and Ronaldo missing from recent line-ups.
This gives us some confidence Maguire will be on the bench for this game, with Eric Bailly and Victor Lindelof both impressing against Chelsea to retain their places.
Aaron Wan-Bissaka will return at right-back, while Alex Telles will also keep his place with Luke Shaw only on the bench at best if passed fit.
The big decision comes in midfield. With Ronaldo expected to return up front, there is a good chance Bruno Fernandes misses out. One of either player have dropped out of both Carrick’s sides.
United could go with the same midfield as against Villarreal a week ago, with a trio of Fred, Scott McTominay, and Donny van de Beek.
This is more attacking than the trio which saw Nemanja Matic come in for the Dutchman against Chelsea, but not too far the other way. United can look to bring Fernandes on late to try and turn the game if needed, like against Villarreal.
Out wide Marcus Rashford will retain his place, rather than Anthony Martial coming in on the left. Ronaldo will start up front while Jadon Sancho will look to score from the right for a third successive game.
- Confirmed Manchester United starting line-up against Nottingham Forest
- Jadon Sancho pictured arriving at Old Trafford for Manchester United semi-final second leg
- How many transfer windows Phil Jones has now survived as a Manchester United player
- Rio Ferdinand responds to Paul Merson over Marcel Sabitzer criticism
- Can Marcel Sabitzer play in the Europa League? Eligibility and suspension explained
- Charlie Wellens set to leave Manchester United on free at end of the season
- Updated: All 18 Manchester United players out on loan deals in 2022/23
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Nottingham Forest
- Erik ten Hag finally brings an Austrian to Manchester United at the fourth attempt
- Hasan Salihamidzic explains why Bayern Munich allowed Marcel Sabitzer to join Manchester United on deadline day
- Manchester United transfer history from 2013 to present