Predicted Manchester United line-up v Arsenal
Manchester United take on Arsenal tonight in a Premier League game at Old Trafford. The match will be screened on Amazon.
Michael Carrick will take charge as caretaker boss for the third game, with interim manager Ralf Rangnick’s work permit not yet approved. Carrick is unbeaten in his first two games.
Tonight’s game with Arsenal is a big one for both clubs. United’s slide in form places the Gunners five points ahead. Arsenal have been in good form over the past couple of months, although did lose their last away fixture 4-0 at Liverpool.
United’s home form has been desperately poor, with no Premier League wins at Old Trafford since early September. United have also failed to win any of the last five matches against Arsenal.
Carrick has numerous big decisions to make tonight as he looks to steer United back on track and keep up momentum.
Which formation will United use?
In Carrick’s first game in charge United utilised a 4-3-3, with Bruno Fernandes dropping out.
Against Chelsea, United played more of a diamond midfield formation with a 4-4-2 or 4-3-1-2, with Marcus Rashford and Jadon Sancho leading the line as split wide forwards.
For this home game expect to see Cristiano Ronaldo return to lead the line – as suggested by Paul Scholes – with United reverting to a 4-3-3 formation.
Who gets the start?
Solskjaer’s first big decision comes in central defence, with Harry Maguire eligible to return from suspension.
Carrick has already shown he is not afraid to make big calls, with Fernandes and Ronaldo missing from recent line-ups.
This gives us some confidence Maguire will be on the bench for this game, with Eric Bailly and Victor Lindelof both impressing against Chelsea to retain their places.
Aaron Wan-Bissaka will return at right-back, while Alex Telles will also keep his place with Luke Shaw only on the bench at best if passed fit.
The big decision comes in midfield. With Ronaldo expected to return up front, there is a good chance Bruno Fernandes misses out. One of either player have dropped out of both Carrick’s sides.
United could go with the same midfield as against Villarreal a week ago, with a trio of Fred, Scott McTominay, and Donny van de Beek.
This is more attacking than the trio which saw Nemanja Matic come in for the Dutchman against Chelsea, but not too far the other way. United can look to bring Fernandes on late to try and turn the game if needed, like against Villarreal.
Out wide Marcus Rashford will retain his place, rather than Anthony Martial coming in on the left. Ronaldo will start up front while Jadon Sancho will look to score from the right for a third successive game.
- Manchester United reignite interest in 20-year-old who cost £4.5m and scored against the Reds last season
- 26-year-old ace shows what he could bring to Ten Hag's Manchester United with match-winning cameo
- 25-year-old ace who reportedly wants Manchester United move has 3 assists in 2 games
- £70m superstar shows Erik ten Hag what he's missing at Manchester United with dazzling display
- Report: 'Furious' Ten Hag orders Manchester United flops to report to Carrington for extra training session
- Thomas Frank gives his verdict on Brentford fans booing Manchester United's Christian Eriksen
- 4 chances created from 18 touches: £35m Manchester United target continues to dazzle
- Manchester United 'really confident' of sealing fourth summer signing, says Romano
- Ten Hag says Manchester United's players did not do what he asked against Brentford
- 'I cost three points'… Manchester United star accepts responsibility for 4-0 loss
- Rio Ferdinand reacts to Manchester United's 4-0 defeat to Brentford