Anthony Martial recovered from the illness which kept him out of Sunday’s win over Southampton to face PSG last night.
He missed Manchester United’s best chance of the night, with the game at 1-1 when the French champions were on the ropes.
Martial skied it from close range after a sumptuous move involving Edinson Cavani and Marcus Rashford down the right.
His confidence noticeably sagged after that, and the tide of the match turned away from United not long after.
French media outlet L’Equipe delivered their verdict on Martial’s performance.
Their player ratings are notoriously harsh and they gave Martial a three out of ten for his night’s work.
They wrote: “Even though one of his strikes contributed to the equaliser, he may long regret his two huge missed opportunities, when he hit over while he was alone in front of goal in the 49th minute, then when his attempt was blocked by Marquinhos in the 56th.”
It should be noted that Martial was not the only player in red to score a three – Victor Lindelof and Scott McTominay also got the same rating.
Martial isn’t having much luck against PSG this season. He netted an own goal in the 2-1 victory in Paris during October.
His season hasn’t really got going since that red card against Tottenham, in truth.
He has just two goals to his name this season – a penalty against RB Leipzig and the header in the 2-1 loss to Istanbul Basaksehir.
Next week’s crunch clash in Germany would be a brilliant time for him to rediscover his scoring touch. He just looks short on confidence right now.
- Five things we learned as Manchester United lose to Sheffield United
- Manchester United pick attack heavy team to face Sheffield United
- Former United star Shinji Kagawa finds new club in Greece
- Solskjaer is ready to build his plans around Amad Diallo
- Who is reported Manchester United target Christoph Baumgartner?
- Odion Ighalo did exactly what he set out to do
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Sheffield United
- Looking back at Anthony Martial’s hat-trick against Sheffield United
- Marcos Rojo has three offers from clubs as he reportedly negotiates United pay-off