What a moment that was for Edinson Cavani. The Uruguayan marked his first game in front of fans at Old Trafford with a special goal.
15 minutes in, Cavani saw Fulham goalkeeper Alphonse Areola off his line and decided to go for goal. Seconds later the ball was nestling in the back of the net.
Cavani’s shot was a sublime chip with pace and perfect execution, immaculately judged with precision and outstanding technique. It was the type of goal only special players can score, and was reminiscent of Wayne Rooney.
While there was a hint of offside about the goal, frankly, when the finish is that good, who cares?
The goal was Cavani’s 10th in the Premier League this season and his 16th in total. He has just extended his contract and this was the perfect way to celebrate.
Manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had promised Cavani would enjoy playing in front of supporters. The feeling was certainly mutual. His goal was a delight to watch, especially for the 10,000 in attendance who were lucky enough to see it live.
United announced the club’s goal of the season winner before the game, with Bruno Fernandes winning it for his strike from outside the box against Everton.
Cavani’s strike was a reminder that the award should never be decided before the season is done. His goal was a surefire contender and possibly a deserving winner.
The striker has proven to be an astute addition, and he has won over his doubters, who were sceptical whether he would be past his best. Cavani simply seems to be getting better and better.
Sadly United could not see the game out and get the three points, settling for a 1-1 draw. Cavani’s goal at least gave fans in attendance something special to remember the match by.
Cavani’s goal and performance left United fans in awe of his quality. Here is a look at some of the reaction…
- Manchester United being linked with Sulemana again, Ajax in pole position
- Anthony Martial pictured working out ahead of pre-season
- Manchester United’s 20 most expensive transfer deals of all time
- Mansfield boss delighted to sign Manchester United’s Nathan Bishop on loan
- French media deliver their verdicts on United star Paul Pogba’s display last night
- Fred impresses for Brazil again in dramatic win
- Five German legends comments on Manchester United bound Jadon Sancho
- Diogo Dalot posts message after making Portugal debut
- Victor Lindelof makes timely contribution to help Sweden finish top
- Manchester United fans react to Paul Pogba’s performance