When Dan James is named in the Manchester United starting line-up, often the view is that it is a weakened team.
There’s a case to reconsider this stance. James has now started three of United’s biggest results of the season, a 6-2 win over Leeds, 4-1 at Newcastle, and now 4-0 against Real Sociedad.
He also scored goals in 4-1 wins over Istanbul Basaksehir and the 9-0 win over Southampton.
Is is really a coincidence that he has been involved in these big wins?
James has certainly given United something to consider, contributing a goal and assist in the victory over Real Sociedad.
Speaking after the victory, James told United’s official website: “
I want to do the best when I’m on the pitch. I was frustrated myself that I didn’t finish the chance I got from Bruno [Fernandes] before, so I had to take the next one, just keep working at it and, luckily, it went through the keeper’s legs.“
It was encouraging too to see James’ success come from the right side. His success has more frequently come from the left, an position occupied by Marcus Rashford.
James’ performance has put him in contention to start this weekend at Old Trafford against Newcastle.
A statistic from Squawka says James is now averaging a goal every 92.5 minutes since the international break in November, in which he also scored for Wales.
He now has four goals for the season for United, and registered his first assist last night too.
James may be beginning to turn around perceptions and win his doubters over.
Here is a look at how fans reacted to the 23-year-old Welshman’s performance…
- Mike Phelan reacts to United’s derby win
- United loanee Tahith Chong provides assist in Club Brugge win
- Harry Maguire raves about Luke Shaw’s performance
- Manchester United fans react to Anthony Martial’s performance
- Pep Guardiola praises United’s display
- Solskjaer says Shaw and Martial nearly did not start against City
- United fans react to Aaron Wan-Bissaka’s performance
- Dean Henderson draws praise from Graeme Souness
- Eric Bailly posts amusing message to Harry Maguire after United win
- Edwin van der Sar and Rio Ferdinand react to Manchester United’s win