Whatever Mason Greenwood’s wage is, double it. He has earned it this week.
After starting three matches in six days, Greenwood was sensibly rested as Manchester United took on Liverpool.
When he was brought on in the second half, he instantly became United’s best player, and swung the game back, temporarily, in the home side’s favour.
United were trailing 3-1 when Greenwood came on. He looked a step ahead of his attacking teammates when he got into the action, playing with a zip and energy which had been missing.
Within five minutes United brought the scoreline back to 3-2, with Edinson Cavani playing in Marcus Rashford to score.
Greenwood came agonisingly close to forcing an equaliser moments later when he had one shot blocked amid a goalmouth scramble, and a second effort cleared off the line after he had beaten goalkeeper Alisson.
Shortly after, Marcus Rashford bore down on goal, and naively shot into the side netting when Greenwood was open at the far post.
Amid a game where no United players really shone, or came out of the match with credit amid a 4-2 defeat, Greenwood was the exception.
He was one of only three United players to land a shot on target, accompanying goalscorers Fernandes and Rashford.
England boss Gareth Southgate was in the stands, and while it may be better for both United and Greenwood if he is rested over the summer and does not have England as a distraction, on form, he should be in contention go to the Euros.
Greenwood’s improved form has seen his tally for the season increase to 12 goals after a slow start, and he so nearly added to his tally against Liverpool.
At just 19, Greenwood is now preparing for his first European final with United, and he is hitting form at just the right time.
On a tough and frustrating night for the team, he was the bright spot, which should be to his real credit due to the effort he has put in during the past week.
United supporters hailed Greenwood’s contribution and picked him out as one reason to be positive on a tough night.
- Manchester United being linked with Sulemana again, Ajax in pole position
- Anthony Martial pictured working out ahead of pre-season
- Manchester United’s 20 most expensive transfer deals of all time
- Mansfield boss delighted to sign Manchester United’s Nathan Bishop on loan
- French media deliver their verdicts on United star Paul Pogba’s display last night
- Fred impresses for Brazil again in dramatic win
- Five German legends comments on Manchester United bound Jadon Sancho
- Diogo Dalot posts message after making Portugal debut
- Victor Lindelof makes timely contribution to help Sweden finish top
- Manchester United fans react to Paul Pogba’s performance