Cristiano Ronaldo scored in Manchester United’s win over West Ham and should really have had a hat-trick.
Ronaldo netted in the first half, and could easily have had a couple more. He was put through on goal by Scott McTominay but miscontrolled the ball and the chance went begging.
Then right after the restart, Ronaldo was presented with a chance by Bruno Fernandes, and saw his shot saved by Lukasz Fabianski.
Normally Ronaldo would have scored at least one of those, probably both.
Ronaldo has a relentless desire to score goals and that was evident in the goal he did score.
His first shot was saved by Fabianski and he raced on to score the rebound, steadying himself and making sure there was no mistake.
Ronaldo could have had a hat-trick of penalties too. The third appeal was the most blatant of the lot, when Kurt Zouma hacked him down in the penalty area.
We are still no closer to knowing whether Ronaldo or Fernandes will step up as United’s spot-kick taker.
Seven shots at goal
Ronaldo attempted seven shots at goal from just 41 touches. The figures showed his insatiable desire to score goals.
Five of those shots were on target, demonstrating that if United can provide the service, no goalkeeper will get an easy ride against Ronaldo.
Ronaldo did track back too, at one stage making an overhead kick clearance on the edge of his own box.
In three games for United, Ronaldo now has four goals. And he now has 122 all time goals for the club, overtaking Andy Cole who was on 121.
Ronaldo has shown he will score for fun, even at the age of 36. His relentless attacking focus shows he is a player who just will not give up.
- Next Manchester United manager: Four replacements if Solskjaer is sacked
- Cristiano Ronaldo sends message to Manchester United fans after defeat
- David de Gea sends strong message to Manchester United fans
- Jesse Lingard clarifies what happened with Manchester United fan
- Bastian Schweinsteiger reacts to Manchester United’s defeat to Liverpool
- ‘Paul Scholes was right’… United fans react to Liverpool defeat
- Solskjaer reacts to United’s 5-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Harry Maguire reacts to United’s 5-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Manchester United’s three worst players against Liverpool
- Sir Alex Ferguson fumes as Manchester United hammered by Liverpool