Cristiano Ronaldo increases international goal record with hat-trick v Luxembourg
Cristiano Ronaldo increased his international goal record by netting three more goals for Portugal.
Ronaldo scored two penalties in the opening 13 minutes of Portuga’s World Cup qualifying win over Luxembourg.
The Manchester United star came close to completing his hat-trick with a spectacular overhead kick in the second half, which was saved by the goalkeeper.
Ronaldo eventually did complete his hat-trick after a Ruben Neves assist late in the second half, scoring a header from close range.
Ronaldo has scored nine goals past Luxembourg in total, more than against any other nation.
How many goals does Ronaldo have in total?
Ronaldo’s brace against Republic of Ireland last month took him clear of Ali Daei (109) to move to 111 as the most prolific international goalscorer of all time.
He scored against Qatar at the weekend and now this hat-trick against Luxembourg extends his record.
Ronaldo is now on 115 international goals in total… and counting.
The Euro 2020 top goalscorer will face Ireland in November and then Serbia, in the final international fixtures of 2021.
Ronaldo is closing in on another figure too. For club and country he now has 794 goals.
He is rapidly closing in on 800, and moved closer last month with five in his first five Manchester United games.
Ronaldo’s club mate Bruno Fernandes was involved as Portugal rounded off a 5-0 win.
Fernandes scored one goal and provided one assist as his double act with Ronaldo continues to flourish.
- Report: 'Outstanding' 22-year-old talent is now all set to leave Manchester United on loan
- 'Already had contact': Club chiefs admit they have had transfer interest in reported Manchester United target
- £67.5m star hands in transfer request with Manchester United linked
- Club confirm signing of 'high calibre' young player released by Manchester United
- Opinion: Cristiano Ronaldo frustration is understandable as Murtough continues to strike out
- Reward for failure: MUST criticise 'indefensible' £11m Glazer dividend payment
- 'Graveyard'… Neville says Glazers to blame as Manchester United battle for signing
- Last ditch effort to sign Manchester United midfielder being considered, 51 games played this season
- Ajax star who just quit tips Manchester United transfer target to leave for big fee