Teden Mengi makes Manchester United under-23 debut
Manchester United youngster Teden Mengi put in an outstanding debut for the under-23 side.
Mengi, 17, was called up for United’s visit to Newcastle on Friday night.
The young centre-back did not put a foot wrong as United won 4-0 at St James’ Park.
This was just the start for Mengi’s next step at United and it could not have gone better.
He was strong in the air, he read the game well, making key interceptions, and his pace was noticeable.
Mengi is comfortable in possession, a good passer of the ball, and has guaranteed himself more starts for the under-23s.
Mengi is well back in the United pecking order, but his development may accelerate the departure of some of the deadwood.
It is possible to see a scenario next summer where Phil Jones, Chris Smalling and Marcos Rojo have all been moved on, and Mengi becomes fifth choice behind Maguire, Lindelöf, Tuanzebe and Bailly.
Mengi has been a regular for the under-18s and is an England under-17 international, featuring at the summer’s European Championships.
He needs to maintain the level he showed for the under-23s on Friday. If he can, then his potential is limitless.
- 4-2-3-1: Predicted Manchester United XI v Brentford, 4 changes, McTominay dropped
- Photo: Youngster signs Manchester United contract after academy transfer
- Erik ten Hag press conference: Manchester United will make signings before transfer window closes
- 'Will not be available': Ten Hag confirms two Manchester United players will miss Brentford clash through injury
- Report: Manchester United raise £1m transfer target budget to £7m