Manchester United are set to win the race for talented young defender Willy Kambwala.
The 16-year-old is set to leave Sochaux’s academy in France to join United’s under-18 side.
RMC Sport report United have agreed to pay four million Euros (£3.6 million) to land the young defender.
United were linked with Kambwala earlier in the summer but no agreement was reached, RMC Sport reported at the time.
Kambwala was born in DR Congo, but has been called up by France’s under-16 side.
Investment in youth
United signed Hannibal Mejbri from France last summer and he made an immediate impact for the under-18 side.
He is now a regular for United’s under-23 side and Kambwala will look to take inspiration from that.
United have been very active signing young academy players so far this year, with eight joining so far prior to Kambwala.
This is another sign of United’s desire to kick on and invest in the future.
Kambwala is the first centre-back United have signed this summer, and adds depth at the position following Teden Mengi’s rapid rise to the first team.
Manchester United’s academy signings in 2020
- Radek Vitek
Goalkeeper (Sigma Olomouc)
- Logan Pye
- Joe Hugill
- Isak Hansen-Aaroen
- Marc Jurado
- Alvaro Carreras
Left-back (Real Madrid)
- Alejandro Garnacho
Striker (Atletico Madrid)
- Charlie McNeill
Striker (Manchester City)
- Willy Kambwala
- Report: Striker Ten Hag wanted last summer now lined up to replace Zlatan
- Erik ten Hag makes ‘only team in the world’ claim about Manchester United
- Manchester United ‘confident’ as talks opened for Mason Mount
- Why Manchester United should sign Diogo Costa to replace De Gea
- Ten Hag target spotted watching Manchester United at Wembley
- Antony reacts to FA Cup final defeat
- Bruno Fernandes issues ‘bigger trophies’ promise to Manchester United fans
- Roy Keane gives verdict on signings Manchester United ‘need’
- Gary Neville instant reaction to disappointing FA Cup final loss