The past eight months have been pretty crazy for Nathan Bishop, following a late January transfer from Southend United.
You can be forgiven for missing that heading into September, he had still not played a match for United at any level, despite travelling with the first team squad as a third choice back-up goalkeeper while Lee Grant was out injured.
Now that Matej Kovar has gone out on loan to Swindon Town, Bishop will take over as United’s first choice under-23s goalkeeper.
Finally after a longer than expected wait due to the lockdown, Bishop played his first match as a Manchester United player this week, in the under-21s EFL Trophy victory over Salford City.
The 20-year-old sent a message out on Instagram reflecting on his first experience representing United in a game, and expressing his happiness at keeping a clean sheet in a memorable 6-0 victory.
His teammates, centre-back Teden Mengi among them, responded with encouraging comments.
Bishop will have a big role this season for the under-23s and this was a great start. He will certainly have tougher nights.
The 20-year-old played in 39 first team matches for Southend and represented England at youth level.
He has swapped that chance at competitive game time to learn among the best at United.
There will be a time when United consider letting him go out on loan too, possibly next season, but this year Bishop will be staying put.
A first team debut in the cups is unlikely because of the quality and experience in front of him, even if Sergio Romero leaves, but Bishop is there if needed, and now finally it feels as though his United career has properly begun.
- Watford fans react to James Garner’s performance on first Championship start
- Manchester United fans react to Nemanja Matic’s performance
- Bruno Fernandes sends message to Manchester United fans after win
- Six things we learned as Manchester United beat Brighton 3-2
- Hannibal Mejbri shows quality in under-23 defeat
- Why Manchester United should consider bargain Todibo bid
- Quick deal for Alex Telles would provide ideal chance for United debut next week
- Comparing Manchester United’s reported Sancho plan with offer they wanted
- David de Gea says he is feeling the best he’s ever felt in his career