Ethan Laird made a loan move at the end of last week to MK Dons and went straight into their FA Cup squad for the weekend.
The League One side called him into action midway through their clash with Premier League side Burnley.
Laird ended up playing nearly an hour in total as the tie went to extra time before Burnley won the match on penalties.
He is making a good early impression, with MK Dons boss Russell Martin pleased with what he has seen to date.
Martin told MK Dons’ official website: “He’s brought real enthusiasm, real energy as a character, which I really really like.
“You could see today what he’s going to bring us. He’s going to really add to the group.
“I’m really pleased with that signing. He adds competition, a really good addition.”
Talent not in doubt
Laird has already made two first team appearances for United, in the Europa League in 2019.
Now the test is whether the 19-year-old can compete on a regular basis in a first team environment.
There is a slot available for him at first team level, with United potentially needing a back-up or alternative to Aaron Wan-Bissaka.
The young right-back has been impressive for Manchester United’s under-23s for a couple of seasons now, with his progress hampered by injuries.
This loan move is a good test for him to see if he can hold up to first team football, before United consider promoting him on a regular basis.
Laird may even have done United a little favour by helping MK Dons take Burnley to extra-time. United face the Clarets on Tuesday night, looking for a win to move top of the Premier League table.
- Mata’s impressed Solskjaer in training: Could he resume van de Beek partnership tonight?
- Manchester United loanee Facundo Pellistri returns to Alaves training after injury
- Solskjaer says United believe Will Fish could be a star
- Three things we want to see in Paul Pogba’s Amazon ‘Pogmentary’
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Granada
- Manchester United fans react to Jude Bellingham’s Champions League performance
- Three key questions as Declan Rice to Manchester United rumours grow stronger
- Brandon Williams will fancy his chances of rare game time for United tonight
- What channel is the Man Utd v Granada Europa League match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Manchester United’s TikTok account releases light-hearted Cavani video after Tottenham controversy