Another of Manchester United’s former youngsters has found a new club.
Ethan Hamilton became the fourth player released by the Red Devils at the end of June to clinch a new contract.
Hamilton has signed for League One promotion hopefuls Peterborough United, their club website confirmed.
The Posh are managed by Darren Ferguson, son of Sir Alex, who even played for the Red Devils as a player in the early 1990s.
Ferguson Jr said: “I have followed his progress over the last 12 months. He has had a number of loan spells in this league and he is someone I have liked for a while if I am honest.
“He is a good size, a lovely footballer, left-footed and I think he will fit in really well. We enquired about getting him on-loan previously, but something happened at Manchester United and it didn’t materialise, so it is great to get it done now. He is on a free now and I think he will be a good signing for us.”
When he talks about ‘something happened at Manchester United’, it is likely Ferguson is referring to Jose Mourinho’s firing.
Shortly after that Hamilton was called into first team training by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, who wanted to take a look at him first hand.
In the end Solskjaer did not give him any first team minutes, and sent him out on loan.
Hamilton, 21, has since played 40 League One matches in different spells at Southend United, Rochdale, and most recently Bolton Wanderers.
In each of those sides Hamilton was battling relegation, and the chance to now shine for a Peterborough side which narrowly missed out on the play-offs will be good for him.
If it goes well he will be able to earn a regular first team place and may even be playing Championship football in a year’s time.
The 10 players released by Manchester United on June 30
- Aidan Barlow
Without a club
- Angel Gomes
Lille on loan at Boavista
- Cameron Borthwick-Jackson
- Alex Fojticek
- Ethan Hamilton
- Dion McGhee
Without a club
- Demetri Mitchell
- Kieran O’Hara
- Largie Ramazani
- George Tanner
- Alex Telles shows Manchester United what he is capable of
- Bruno Fernandes kept up his high quality even if United teammates did not
- Warning signs over Victor Lindelof have been there for Manchester United
- It’s time for Jesse Lingard to move on, but £30m seems too good to be true
- Luke Shaw calls for Manchester United to sign more players
- Solskjaer praises Donny van de Beek as midfielder sends message to fans
- Manchester United’s season feels over before it has really begun
- Six things learned as Manchester United lose to Crystal Palace
- Confirmed Manchester United line up v Crystal Palace
- Teden Mengi could have early season chance to impress for Manchester United