Another of Manchester United’s former youngsters has found a new club.
Ethan Hamilton became the fourth player released by the Red Devils at the end of June to clinch a new contract.
Hamilton has signed for League One promotion hopefuls Peterborough United, their club website confirmed.
The Posh are managed by Darren Ferguson, son of Sir Alex, who even played for the Red Devils as a player in the early 1990s.
Ferguson Jr said: “I have followed his progress over the last 12 months. He has had a number of loan spells in this league and he is someone I have liked for a while if I am honest.
“He is a good size, a lovely footballer, left-footed and I think he will fit in really well. We enquired about getting him on-loan previously, but something happened at Manchester United and it didn’t materialise, so it is great to get it done now. He is on a free now and I think he will be a good signing for us.”
When he talks about ‘something happened at Manchester United’, it is likely Ferguson is referring to Jose Mourinho’s firing.
Shortly after that Hamilton was called into first team training by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, who wanted to take a look at him first hand.
In the end Solskjaer did not give him any first team minutes, and sent him out on loan.
Hamilton, 21, has since played 40 League One matches in different spells at Southend United, Rochdale, and most recently Bolton Wanderers.
In each of those sides Hamilton was battling relegation, and the chance to now shine for a Peterborough side which narrowly missed out on the play-offs will be good for him.
If it goes well he will be able to earn a regular first team place and may even be playing Championship football in a year’s time.
The 10 players released by Manchester United on June 30, 2020
- Aidan Barlow
Without a club
- Angel Gomes
Lille on loan at Boavista
- Cameron Borthwick-Jackson
- Alex Fojticek
- Ethan Hamilton
- Dion McGhee
- Demetri Mitchell
- Kieran O’Hara
- Largie Ramazani
- George Tanner
- Rangnick should reward talented Manchester United youngster after eye-catching display
- Manchester United would be foolish not to pursue signing 'unplayable' £135m man on a free transfer
- 'Never give up': Manchester United players react as ex-teammate makes return after 321 days injured
- 4 Chances Created: Manchester United loan midfielder makes another case for recall
- 'Will be a club captain'… Some fans react to Manchester United loanee's 'outstanding' performance and interview
- 'Need time on the grass': Manager provides update on Manchester United loanee
- Report: Manchester United ace turns down loan move to Premier League side
- BBC pundits claim 'quality' Manchester United player 'stepped up' against Aston Villa
- 'Frustrated' Manchester United ace sends message to fans after Aston Villa draw
- 'Superb', 'Proper footballer'… Some fans react to Manchester United loanee's performance