Manchester United youngster Dion McGhee has confirmed his career at the club has come to an end.
McGhee’s contract expires at the end of this month and the midfielder’s deal will not be renewed.
The 19-year-old had made nine appearances for United’s under-23 side this season, most recently in the win over Stoke City in early March, where he filled in at left-back.
McGhee said that while United is all he has known for most of his life so far, he is excited for the opportunities which lie ahead.
The MEN report that Championship clubs have been in touch, as well as teams in Spain, Portugal and Italy, ahead of him becoming a free agent.
He received a response from teammate, class act and all round nice guy Juan Mata, which McGhee clearly appreciated.
More exits to come
United are yet to confirm the list of released players, although the club has been working to extend contracts of some.
Nemanja Matic, Timothy Fosu-Mensah and Tahith Chong have all signed new deals over the past few months, and the club are hoping Angel Gomes will do the same.
The MEN report there are at least four more academy players who are expected to be released.
Ethan Hamilton, George Tanner, Demetri Mitchell, and Cameron Borthwick-Jackson are all likely to be let go.
Like his colleagues, McGhee is a talented player, but there are just too many obstacles in his path at United for first team football.
Releasing him so he can pursue his career elsewhere is the right move.
- Manni Norkett: The next top Manchester United academy striker you need to know
- Getting Anthony Martial back to his best could transform Manchester United
- No Rashford and possibly no Sancho: Who starts for Manchester United on the wing against Leeds?
- Ethan Laird is wanted by Swansea and a loan move looks essential
- Looking back at United reportedly agreeing terms with Sancho a year ago
- Aurelien Tchouameni shows why Manchester United should be interested
- Kieran Trippier returns to training for Atletico Madrid
- Manchester United fans react to Lukaku to Chelsea reports
- Fred spotted back in Manchester United training