A Noam Emeran-inspired Manchester United strolled to victory against Derby County on Saturday afternoon. Multiple debutants were on show and Charlie McNeil, the striker recently signed from Man City, scored a brace in his first start.
Marc Jurado also made his debut in the game after joining from FC Barcelona in the summer. Willy Kambwala started and looked composed in defence.
It was Emeran who ran the game. The 18-year-old waited a long time to get into the groove at United having suffered an injury soon after joining but he is now exciting fans and this was one of his best performances.
United dominated the game from start to finish. Their dominance was only exaggerated when Derby’s Christie scythed down Martin Svidersky in the 20th minute. He’d taken a heavy touch trying to play out from the back, Svidersky was ready to steal the ball and Christie took him out and prevented a clear goalscoring opportunity.
It was typical of Svidersky who is always alive to press the defensive line from midfield. His reading of the game is excellent.
Emeran scores one, assists two in dominant display
Emeran pounced on a loose ball to put United in front. The lead became two after the break and United raced into a healthy lead with a well-worked goal. Zidane Iqbal splayed it out wide to McNeil whose cross was unselfishly cutback by Emeran and finished off by Omari Forson.
Forson was involved soon after, flicking a pass around the defensive line to set up McNeil who slotted home for a debut goal. The fourth followed soon after. Emeran contributed a second assist, staying on his feet impressively in the box and crossing for McNeil. He finished, with the help of the Derby defender, for his second of the day.
Charlie McNeill hits two on his debut
It was an impressive debut for McNeil. His first half was summed up by a collection of nice touches but little of serious effectiveness.
The second was better as the game opened up and he took his two real chances clinically. He’s a boyhood United fan who turned down a big offer from Juventus to come back to the club.
Kambwala shows composure on debut
Kambwala signed for a few million euros from FC Sochaux after long-term interest from United. His debut for the under-18s was impressive. He was composed and assured in central defence and showed his natural physical attributes. His pace is astonishing at times. At one moment he made up four yards on his man and easily recovered the ball long before the play reached the box.
Neil Ryan’s United side have now moved up to fifth in the Premier League North table. They have a game-in-hand and if they win it, they’ll be level on points with leaders Liverpool.
- UEFA expert panel name Manchester United star in Europa League Team of the Season
- £42m star has extra incentive to sign for Manchester United after perfect season
- Fabrizio Romano says Manchester United player exit is ‘close’
- Manchester United linked to ‘different level’ Brian Gutierrez
- Fabrizio Romano comments on Manchester United moving for Diogo Costa and Bart Verbruggen
- Marcus Rashford contract renewal at Manchester United has to now be getting closer
- Manchester United linked to five-times league winner with 50 international caps
- Casemiro sends message to Manchester United fans
- Italian press reaction to Rasmus Hojlund performance shows why Manchester United are interested