United reportedly scouting Aurelien Tchouameni
The next step for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in the transfer market is to bring a new defensive midfielder to Manchester United.
Declan Rice is a lingering target, but United would be wise to look at more cost-effective alternatives.
According to ESPN, they are scouting Monaco anchorman Aurelien Tchouameni.
They report that Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester City have all had a look at the Frenchman this season too.
He would apparently cost between €50m and €60m (£42-51 million) to sign, which is within United’s capabilities.
Tchouameni was recently among the France squad which won the Nations League, alongside Raphael Varane, Paul Pogba and Anthony Martial.
His performance in the final brought rave reviews from some United fans on Twitter, and they are not the only ones impressed.
Last month, Pogba said of Tchouameni to French broadcaster RTL after a 1-1 draw with Ukraine, as quoted by Ouest-France: “Very very good. He’s not a boy, he’s a man.
“Pleasure to play next to him. He brings a lot of energy. A lot of energy, extraordinary technical and physical quality.”
A bit of misunderstanding here, probably as I worded it badly:— Alex Shaw (@AlexShawESPN) October 15, 2021
Sure, the plan would be for Pogba AND Tchouameni because United still want Pogba to stay.
But if he goes, Tchouameni earmarked to come in (although many clubs want him).
United would want Tchouameni to come in and play alongside Pogba, who has a new contract offer on the table.
But whether Pogba stays or not, United need a new elite holding midfielder either in January or next summer.
Tchouameni is still just 21 years old and looks to have a very bright future ahead of him.
Winning the race for his signature could be crucial, but it is already clear that the competition will be fierce.
- Glazers will sell Manchester United for right price, says Michael Knighton, who calls for talks with Ratcliffe over investment
- 'Unreal', 'Absolute player'… Teammates react as 21-year-old Manchester United talent's loan spell ends
- 5 Darwin Nunez alternatives for Manchester United, including award-winning 34-goal forward
- 7 Argentina players who have played for Manchester United including a now 38-year-old free agent
- Ten Hag eyeing £25 million move for Ajax's player of the season