The agent of Manchester United striker Anthony Martial has told Sky Sports News that the Frenchman wants to leave next month.
Philippe Lamboley, executive director of USFA Management said that Martial wants more gametime than he is currently getting.
He has made just two Premier League starts this season, against Southampton and Everton under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s guidance.
The signing of Cristiano Ronaldo has shunted Martial down the pecking order and injuries have hampered him as well.
“Anthony wishes to leave the club in January,” said Lamboley. “He just needs to play. He doesn’t want to stay in January and I will speak to the club soon.”
Martial has already been ruled out of tomorrow’s clash with Norwich due to injury and has not played so far under Ralf Rangnick.
It was already going to be interesting to see how the German’s desire for high-pressing football will sit with Martial’s more languid style.
It now seems unlikely Rangnick will use Martial very often between now and the window opening, but it is a situation the interim manager will need to deal with skilfully.
So he needs to get himself fit enough to make a move when the January window opens.
It remains to be seen who will be interested in Martial, but there are always clubs looking for goalscorers in the mid-season window.
Martial probably does need a fresh start away from Old Trafford but it is rare to hear an agent be so candid about his client’s intentions.
- Uruguay manager and South American press react to Facundo Pellistri's debut performance
- Manchester United warned 'extraordinary offer' required to sign midfielder
- Karim Benzema sends message to Manchester United star
- Report: Young Manchester United forward set for medical ahead of imminent loan move
- Manager delighted to sign 'wonderful' Manchester United defensive talent on loan