Martial's agent says he wants to leave United in January
The agent of Manchester United striker Anthony Martial has told Sky Sports News that the Frenchman wants to leave next month.
Philippe Lamboley, executive director of USFA Management said that Martial wants more gametime than he is currently getting.
He has made just two Premier League starts this season, against Southampton and Everton under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s guidance.
The signing of Cristiano Ronaldo has shunted Martial down the pecking order and injuries have hampered him as well.
“Anthony wishes to leave the club in January,” said Lamboley. “He just needs to play. He doesn’t want to stay in January and I will speak to the club soon.”
Martial has already been ruled out of tomorrow’s clash with Norwich due to injury and has not played so far under Ralf Rangnick.
It was already going to be interesting to see how the German’s desire for high-pressing football will sit with Martial’s more languid style.
It now seems unlikely Rangnick will use Martial very often between now and the window opening, but it is a situation the interim manager will need to deal with skilfully.
So he needs to get himself fit enough to make a move when the January window opens.
It remains to be seen who will be interested in Martial, but there are always clubs looking for goalscorers in the mid-season window.
Martial probably does need a fresh start away from Old Trafford but it is rare to hear an agent be so candid about his client’s intentions.
- Ten Hag reportedly gives key role to Manchester United star with no appearances since December 2021
- Surprise Van Gaal signing and 3 other former Manchester United players who played under Omonia boss Lennon
- Poland youth international trains with Manchester United first team ahead of Europa League tie
- Ten Hag's Manchester United have to bounce back like Sir Alex Ferguson's did after City trouncing
- 18-time international hoping to follow in the footsteps of former Manchester United teammate