Yves Bissouma shows why Manchester United should make a move to sign him
Yves Bissouma produced an all action performance for Brighton last night to help his side deny Chelsea a win at Stamford Bridge.
In the process the central midfielder showed exactly why he is a player Manchester United need to work on signing when the transfer window opens.
Midfield has been identified by fans as the priority area to strengthen since the summer and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer paid with his job for ignoring the area.
New interim boss Ralf Rangnick has already witnessed the limitations of United’s midfield after four games in charge.
Yves Bissouma was a name many fans wanted added to the ranks at Old Trafford after strong performances against United last season, and last night he showed once again how good he is.
Ready for a move
Bissouma was the best midfielder on the pitch at Stamford Bridge as Brighton fought back to claim a 1-1 draw, with former Manchester United striker Danny Welbeck scoring an injury time headed equaliser.
The 25-year-old had two shots on target himself as he pushed to score, while creating two goalscoring chances for his teammates.
Bissouma made seven tackles, two interceptions and three clearances, while only giving away one foul. He completed 85 per cent of his passes and touched the ball 74 times – more than any Chelsea midfielder.
United need a midfielder with Bissouma’s all round game, to improve upon current options Fred and Scott McTominay, who are limited while also lacking traits which make them excel in any particular area.
This season United have not gone up against Brighton and Bissouma, with the game in December postponed. He was due to be suspended for the original fixture, but will be available for the as yet to be re-arranged game – unless United sign him before.
Bissouma made life difficult for Bruno Fernandes at Old Trafford last season in United’s 1-0 win, making six tackles and three interceptions in a determined display.
The Athletic speculated earlier this year Bissouma could cost teams around £40 million, while the midfielder himself welcomed Cristiano Ronaldo’s arrival in the Premier League as a dream come true back in September.
Bissouma is ready for a bigger move and fresh challenge in his career, but United’s exact midfield plan remains unclear.
It’s glaringly obvious the position is one United need to strengthen in, with Fred and McTominay unconvincing, Nemanja Matic approaching his mid-30s, Paul Pogba’s contract set to expire, and Donny van de Beek still an unknown quantity.
Bissouma is Premier League proven and could slot straight into United’s starting line-up. He showed last night that once again he can cut it against the league’s top teams, and United would be wrong not to take a closer look when the transfer window re-opens next month.
- Manchester United look to accelerate 24-year-old's departure to reunite Ten Hag with 17-time international
- Manchester United wonderkid set to become 7th Reds youngster to join Championship side on loan in PL era
- Guillem Balague says Cristiano Ronaldo departure from Manchester United being worked on
- Manchester United prepared to wait until deadline day to sell 28-year-old on permanent deal
- Mick Beale explains why QPR fans should be “really excited” about Manchester United loanee Ethan Laird
- 26-year-old Manchester United ace gives Erik ten Hag timely boost
- Erik ten Hag could be about to have his own Danny Welbeck moment
- 'I would never'… Pundit warns over 'very dangerous' Manchester United signing strategy
- 'Big moments'… One Manchester United owned player ended weekend with manager signing his praises
- £46m Manchester United star's comments about his start before give optimism for future
- Club CEO has admitted Manchester United strike target with £60m release clause could leave