Why Donny van de Beek cannot make his Everton debut this weekend
Donny van de Beek sealed his loan move to Everton on transfer deadline day to join Frank Lampard at Goodison Park.
The Dutchman has a fresh start to kick on, and as Ajax CEO Edwin van der Sar put it, hopefully enjoy ‘better luck’ than he has at Manchester United.
The one problem for Van de Beek is that he will be delayed in making his debut. He will not play for Everton against Brentford this coming weekend.
The fixture on Saturday at 3pm is a FA Cup fourth round game between the two clubs. Van de Beek is ineligible to feature.
Van de Beek is cup-tied. This means he cannot play for two clubs in the same competition in the same year.
The Dutchman came off the bench for Manchester United in the FA Cup third round 1-0 win over Aston Villa.
Van de Beek played the final 18 minutes of the game, replacing Edinson Cavani.
Now that 18 minute cameo appearance costs him the chance to play for Everton in the fourth round, and beyond, if Everton go further in the competition.
Debut the following week
The good news for Van de Beek is he will not have to wait much longer. Everton have a midweek game in the Premier League days later.
Everton visit Newcastle United on February 8 in what is shaping up as a huge game for both clubs in their battle to climb up the table. Van de Beek is not guaranteed to start, but will be working towards it.
New Toffees teammate Dele Alli is also cup-tied and ineligible for the FA Cup game after featuring for Spurs in the third round. So he has no advantage over Van de Beek in terms of having an early headstart.
- Embarrassing: Harry Maguire 'liked' Cristiano Ronaldo post 'in error'
- Manchester United should have learned in 2019 that appeasing Ronaldo just won't be worth it
- Potential £40m signing should signal end of Harry Maguire captaincy at Manchester United
- Jurrien Timber sends message to Tyrell Malacia after Manchester United move confirmed
- 'Very exciting player'… Manager thrilled to snap up 21-year-old after Manchester United release
- Picture: Frenkie de Jong 'likes' agent's post on Tyrell Malacia confirmed Manchester United transfer
- Manchester United could move for free agent replacement for Cristiano Ronaldo, Ten Hag reportedly likes him
- Manchester United have just made Malacia move look even better, as big signings await
- 'Here we go'… Manchester United player agrees £13 million exit, says Fabrizio Romano
- Video: Erik ten Hag has one-to-one chat with 21-year-old Manchester United ace in training
- Ten Hag now has Manchester United front three Solskjaer wanted and never picked