Manchester United may need to think outside the box when it comes to signing a winger this summer, with the pursuit of Jadon Sancho so far drawing a blank.
One option who should be considered is Ajax winger David Neres.
Why Neres would be a good fit
Neres plays on Ajax’s right wing and has been a prolific goalscorer for the club after switching from Sao Paulo in 2017.
Now 23-years-old, Neres has gone onto make 119 appearances for the club.
He has a real eye for goal, scoring 35 goals from the wing, while also providing 24 assists.
The Brazilian is quick, he is a strong dribbler, and has the ability to pick out passes.
He is the type of player United want, for a position which has been problematic for far too long.
Why Neres would be affordable
Neres’ 2019/20 season was cut short by a knee injury suffered in the Champions League back in November.
Up until this he had been in great form, scoring six goals in 12 Eredivisie games to start the season.
Neres is now back training with Ajax’s first team ahead of the Dutch season resuming on September 12.
Goal reported earlier this summer Ajax would look for 40 million Euros (£36m) for Neres.
This is a third of the price Borussia Dortmund are seeking for Jadon Sancho.
Neres was previously praised by former United boss Jose Mourinho, quoted by Soccer News Netherlands: “As far as I am concerned, David Neres fully reflects what a Brazilian footballer stands for. For me he is the best of this new generation.”
A smart gamble
Goal also reported that Neres is quite happy to stay at Ajax, and United may prefer to see how he recovers from his injury before considering a move.
Yahoo Sports linked United with making a move in 2019, prior to the winger extending his contract at the Dutch club until 2023.
At a relatively young age, Neres has already played in a Champions League semi-final, and made his debut for Brazil early in 2019.
There is an argument to be made that this is the time to make an offer for Neres, while his value is low after his injury at the end of last year.
At the very least, over the next year Neres is a player United be monitoring.
Right now we need signings, and if the Sancho deal is not possible, a move for the Ajax ace along with his teammate Donny van de Beek would considerably strengthen United’s attacking options.
- Mata’s impressed Solskjaer in training: Could he resume van de Beek partnership tonight?
- Manchester United loanee Facundo Pellistri returns to Alaves training after injury
- Solskjaer says United believe Will Fish could be a star
- Three things we want to see in Paul Pogba’s Amazon ‘Pogmentary’
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Granada
- Manchester United fans react to Jude Bellingham’s Champions League performance
- Three key questions as Declan Rice to Manchester United rumours grow stronger
- Brandon Williams will fancy his chances of rare game time for United tonight
- What channel is the Man Utd v Granada Europa League match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news