According to ESPN, Manchester United are considering a move for Sassuolo winger Jeremie Boga.
Boga is said to be ‘very interested’ in a United move, although it is claimed he is only being considered as a cheaper alternative to Jadon Sancho.
So who is Boga and what could he bring to United? Here is a look…
1) Boga has been one of Serie A’s most eye catching players this season. He has scored eight goals and provided two assists, while averaging 4.2 successful dribbles per game.
2) He was once touted as a ‘wonderkid’ in Chelsea’s academy, but made just one appearance. He went out on three loan spells in France, England and Spain before signing for Sassuolo in 2018.
3) Chelsea did not exercise a buy-back option for Boga and this is no longer active, The Guardian report. Instead the Blues would get a sell-on fee when Boga leaves Sassuolo.
4) The 23-year-old is an Ivory Coast international, although was born in Marseille and previously featured for France’s under-19 side.
5) There is competition for his signature with The Mail reporting Juventus and Napoli are both keen on a deal this summer.
Mourinho had high hopes for him
While Chelsea boss in 2014, Mourinho talked up Boga while explaining his decision to let Frank Lampard leave.
He told Talksport: “My view is that when you want to look forward, look to the future and have people like Fabregas and Matic and Jeremie Boga which are the next ten years of the club.”
None of these predictions came true, but then Mourinho did not last much longer at Chelsea either.
Would Boga be a good signing?
Boga is a big talent who looks set for a move this summer as reward for an impressive campaign.
He was one of the best players in Chelsea’s youth system and just needed regular football to get his career started.
It is important to note though that Boga’s best position is on the left wing; this is where he has made the majority of his appearances this season.
So signing Boga would be more of a back-up for Marcus Rashford, than a solution to United’s right side.
It is possible then that United could actually sign Boga and Sancho, with the Sassuolo winger only likely to cost around £20-25 million.
If United like him enough, he could be a good addition, just don’t confuse him as a true Sancho alternative.
- Manni Norkett: The next top Manchester United academy striker you need to know
- Getting Anthony Martial back to his best could transform Manchester United
- No Rashford and possibly no Sancho: Who starts for Manchester United on the wing against Leeds?
- Ethan Laird is wanted by Swansea and a loan move looks essential
- Looking back at United reportedly agreeing terms with Sancho a year ago
- Aurelien Tchouameni shows why Manchester United should be interested
- Kieran Trippier returns to training for Atletico Madrid
- Manchester United fans react to Lukaku to Chelsea reports
- Fred spotted back in Manchester United training