According to ESPN, Manchester United are considering a move for Sassuolo winger Jeremie Boga.
Boga is said to be ‘very interested’ in a United move, although it is claimed he is only being considered as a cheaper alternative to Jadon Sancho.
So who is Boga and what could he bring to United? Here is a look…
1) Boga has been one of Serie A’s most eye catching players this season. He has scored eight goals and provided two assists, while averaging 4.2 successful dribbles per game.
2) He was once touted as a ‘wonderkid’ in Chelsea’s academy, but made just one appearance. He went out on three loan spells in France, England and Spain before signing for Sassuolo in 2018.
3) Chelsea did not exercise a buy-back option for Boga and this is no longer active, The Guardian report. Instead the Blues would get a sell-on fee when Boga leaves Sassuolo.
4) The 23-year-old is an Ivory Coast international, although was born in Marseille and previously featured for France’s under-19 side.
5) There is competition for his signature with The Mail reporting Juventus and Napoli are both keen on a deal this summer.
Mourinho had high hopes for him
While Chelsea boss in 2014, Mourinho talked up Boga while explaining his decision to let Frank Lampard leave.
He told Talksport: “My view is that when you want to look forward, look to the future and have people like Fabregas and Matic and Jeremie Boga which are the next ten years of the club.”
None of these predictions came true, but then Mourinho did not last much longer at Chelsea either.
Would Boga be a good signing?
Boga is a big talent who looks set for a move this summer as reward for an impressive campaign.
He was one of the best players in Chelsea’s youth system and just needed regular football to get his career started.
It is important to note though that Boga’s best position is on the left wing; this is where he has made the majority of his appearances this season.
So signing Boga would be more of a back-up for Marcus Rashford, than a solution to United’s right side.
It is possible then that United could actually sign Boga and Sancho, with the Sassuolo winger only likely to cost around £20-25 million.
If United like him enough, he could be a good addition, just don’t confuse him as a true Sancho alternative.
- Manchester United should extend Mason Greenwood’s contract even further
- Bruno Fernandes is enjoying helping Anthony Martial shine
- Be open minded over a potential United move for Nathan Ake
- Incoming United addition Isak Hansen-Aaroen makes professional debut
- Victor Lindelof was not pictured in United training on Monday amid injury worry
- Fresh Jadon Sancho could help Manchester United start next season in style
- Harvey Neville signs professional Manchester United deal
- New Matic contract can help persuade Pogba to renew his United deal
- The stats which show Jack Grealish can be a top asset for Manchester United