Despite his rapid progress at Manchester United, Aaron Wan-Bissaka remains uncapped at senior international level.
The defender is eligible to play for two countries.
England, because he was born in Croydon, and DR Congo, because he is of Congolese descent.
Despite featuring in 51 games for United, Wan-Bissaka has not yet been selected in a game by Gareth Southgate.
He was called into a Three Lions senior squad at the start of the 2019/20 campaign, but pulled out because of a back injury.
That led to rumours he would declare for the African nation.
The Telegraph report that Wan-Bissaka wants to represent England and fight for his place in the squad ahead of Euro 2021.
Wan-Bissaka has played for England at Under 20 and Under 21 level, representing the latter at the 2019 European Championship, where Aidy Boothroyd’s side exited at the group stage.
He also played for DR Congo at Under 20 level, but that looks set to be the extent of his involvement with a country he said in a 2015 interview he would be proud to represent.
Good news for United?
At this moment in time, Wan-Bissaka declaring for England does not represent any sort of guarantee he’ll be off on international duty during every break.
Southgate has a glut of right backs available to him, and has so far snubbed Wan-Bissaka for most of his United career.
From a freshness point of view, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer may prefer that it stays that way, allowing Wan-Bissaka regular opportunities to recharge his batteries.
As Mason Greenwood has found out this year, becoming an England international increases the scrutiny even on players who don’t court the limelight.
The African Nations Cup will also be held in January and February 2022, mis-season, potentially depriving United of his services at a crucial point in the season if he chooses DR Congo.
And if he does join the United contingent in the England squad, perhaps he can persuade Jadon Sancho that coming to Old Trafford and playing on that right flank with him is a good idea…
- Mata’s impressed Solskjaer in training: Could he resume van de Beek partnership tonight?
- Manchester United loanee Facundo Pellistri returns to Alaves training after injury
- Solskjaer says United believe Will Fish could be a star
- Three things we want to see in Paul Pogba’s Amazon ‘Pogmentary’
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Granada
- Manchester United fans react to Jude Bellingham’s Champions League performance
- Three key questions as Declan Rice to Manchester United rumours grow stronger
- Brandon Williams will fancy his chances of rare game time for United tonight
- What channel is the Man Utd v Granada Europa League match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Manchester United’s TikTok account releases light-hearted Cavani video after Tottenham controversy