Mason Greenwood produced a timely return to form on Sunday as Manchester United beat Liverpool 3-2.
A goal and an assist helped swing the game United’s way and offered a reminder of his huge quality and deadly finishing.
It has been a tricky season for Greenwood, having endured struggles in terms of form and fitness, and that was something Victor Lindelof hinted at after the game.
The Swede told United’s official website that he was thrilled for Greenwood and praised his quality.
“I’m very happy for him [Greenwood],” said Lindelof.
He is a brilliant young player and for him to get a goal and an assist as well is great for him.
Hopefully he can keep building and he can keep improving.“
There was also praise for match-winner Bruno Fernandes.
“When I saw us get a free-kick there, I knew Bruno was going to take it,” said Lindelof.
I hoped for the best and he scored. It was a brilliant goal.“
Greenwood has shown his quality in glimpses this season and he has now scored in all four competitions United have played in.
Until Amad Diallo is ready for the first team, Greenwood is probably United’s best option wide on the right when on top form.
Hopefully, yesterday’s performance can be a catalyst for Greenwood to recapture the form he showed at the end of last season.
Wednesday’s game against Sheffield United looks, on paper, a presentable opportunity for Greenwood to find the net again if Ole Gunnar Solskjaer keeps him in the side.
- Bruno Fernandes sends message to Manchester United fans ahead of semi-final second leg
- Ruben Neves should be Manchester United’s number one midfield target
- Manchester United fans react to fixture pile-up
- Brandon Williams is in-demand and a loan move looks essential
- No free pass for Murtough on United transfers as revolution gathers pace
- New Manchester United v Liverpool date set, final fixtures confirmed
- Former United defender Rafael takes aim at both PSG and City after Champions League semi-final
- Elanga included in United’s squad for Roma, James out injured